Author Topic: 88 kx125 powervalve woes  (Read 2668 times)

Offline ph3nom

88 kx125 powervalve woes
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:20:20 AM »
Hello all!

So, I've been working on my "project" bike that I thought would be a straight forward deal has turned into a nightmare. The bike is a 1995, it needed an engine so I hunted one down on Craigslist and after purchase and bringing home. Came to realize after reading into the serial number, it appears to be out of a 1988. The seller claimed it to be a 95, and it needed the power valve assembly and a rebuild. Well, after searching for close to 2 weeks now I have been unable to source any of the power valve parts. Are there any options for this issue? Different parts off different models that may work? Able to get around the usage of the valves? At the moment, there isn't any piece of the assembly there so I basically would need a complete jug to use or to take the parts out of it. This is one of the last things that's holding me back on the project and is starting to drive me bonkers  :?

Any input?

Thank you!

Matt

Offline KXDINO

Re: 88 kx125 powervalve woes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:32 AM »
If you cant get new,try wreckers around the world,get part numbers and check against other models.

Offline ph3nom

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:56:47 AM »
Almost the whole assembly is discontinued. I've been trying to cross reference the part numbers with other bikes finding no luck. Currently in the process of searching salvage yards across the states at the moment, been waiting on replies :\

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »
Seems like kawi spare parts is somewhat lacking ,i ve had to get parts made ,and not only for bikes ,cars tractors etc.If you get stuck let me know i see if there some in aust.Good luck.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
The early KX's used year specific valves.
If you have a 88 cylinder then the valves you need only fit 1988.
LEFT 12005-1096,
RIGHT 12005-1097
If your cylinder is embossed with 1539 then it is a 88.
If there is a different number, tell me what it is and I will tell you what year it is and what valves will fit.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.