Author Topic: Mackay Idaho Mine Hill  (Read 3421 times)

Offline m1886

Mackay Idaho Mine Hill
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »
I don't know if anyone is in the same situation as me, but right now my riding partners are age 5, 8, and 10.  I tried some single track earlier this summer and it turns out it's no fun with little kids.  So, I've been finding other places to ride where they can get some seat time and not be frustrated by tricky terrain. We live in Utah, but since it's illegal for anyone under 8 to ride on any public trail we've done most of our riding in Idaho.  If anyone out there has little kids that they want to take on a nice day ride I highly recommend this Mackay Idaho Mine Hill Tour. There's some cool old mining stuff to see which provides opportunities for lots of breaks for the little ones and in some cases there is stuff they can climb on.  The truth is that most of this tour could be done in a car but it's open to all OHV's as well and it turned out to be a great day for us.  We did our ride over Labor Day weekend and the weather couldn't have been better.

In the pasture at Grandpa's house (west of Blackfoot ID) the day before our ride. We're still trying to convince Grandpa that horses are old technology.

One of many water stops

A great overlook at White Knob Hill

The kids climbed on that big yellow mining truck in the background for at least an hour

Offline kxpegger

Re: Mackay Idaho Mine Hill
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
It won't be long before they give you a run for your money on the single track if they stick with it! All my kids are have long left the house and I miss having them around! They grow up so quick! You're making memories that they will not forget.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
Great family activity. Looks like Grandpa lives on the Old Arco Hwy. Mackay is a great spot, have you tried riding by/on the Big Butte yet?  Also there is fun single track in the Pocatello area as the kids get ready for more challenge.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
Hey Mac,
 Pegger & ID KX are Right on,  I had to ride the K-5 w/ the kids also and had to make a few adjustments to keep from loading up the engine or wearing out my clutch.  I geared it up to 14/50, put in a #7 plug and put on a Keihin 38mm Airstrykr.
   Keeping the air moving through the rads was somewhat of a challenge at times, but you can do it.
Enjoy the time you have with them now, 'cause in ten years or so all they want is some gas money and the keys to the car! :lol:
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"