Author Topic: Checking for Sleeved Cylinder  (Read 4090 times)

Offline m1886

Checking for Sleeved Cylinder
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »
Ok guys, I've made the decision to move from the 4 stroke KLX 400R (I know it's actually a Suzuki not a Kawasaki) to a KX500.  That thing is just too heavy.  I've always wanted a 2-stroke and the hot mountain bike here seems to be the KTM 300's.  After some research I've found it's half the money for me to find a KX500 that's in decent shape than it is to buy one of the 300's that's even 6 or 7 years old and the dry weight of the two is identical.  So.. to the point of my question for you experts.

Tomorrow I'm going to go look at a 1998 that from the photos seems to be in very good shape.  Someone has even put the 95 straight fender on it already! Unfortunately the guy who is selling it doesn't know much about it since he got as part of of trade.  My question is whether there is any way to tell without taking the head off whether the cylinder has been sleeved?  I thought about a magnet maybe, but I don't know.  Any thoughts?  I've found a ton of other great information on things to check when looking at a used bike from this site.

Offline RoostDaddy

Re: Checking for Sleeved Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »
yea, if you can take off the pipe or pull out the reed cage you could check it out.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline m1886

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:27 AM »
Thanks, I think that it my best bet.  I've already told the owner I'm going to take off the ignition cover so I can see if there's any play in the crank, now I just have to figure out a way to break it to him that I want to take the pipe off as well!  Once I pull the springs could I just loosen some of the pipe mounts or do you think I would have to take those screws completely out?

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:31:11 AM »
to get pipe off you will have to pull gas tank, and side panel as well as 3 pipe mounts, and the springs

Offline m1886

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »
Ouch!! I may have to rethink this. On my son's KTM 50 I can wiggle the pipe off the exhaust outlet without taking it clear off. Sounds like no such luck with this beast. He's only eight but I'm tired of him bragging about how his 2 stroke is so superior to my klx400. Thanks for the information. I might just have to lower my offer a bit and gamble. If I lose is there a source of replacement cylinders other than ordering a $550 part from one of the oem parts suppliers?

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
Ouch!! I may have to rethink this. On my son's KTM 50 I can wiggle the pipe off the exhaust outlet without taking it clear off. Sounds like no such luck with this beast. He's only eight but I'm tired of him bragging about how his 2 stroke is so superior to my klx400. Thanks for the information. I might just have to lower my offer a bit and gamble. If I lose is there a source of replacement cylinders other than ordering a $550 part from one of the oem parts suppliers?

just run the sleeve in that case..   I ran one for years.      no differance except you had to pay attention to warm up  (cold seize)

Offline m1886

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 03:44:10 AM »
Well that makes me feel a little bit better about it.  I'm going this afternoon to check it out so we'll see what happens.  If I bring home a new toy I'll take some photos and officially introduce myself in the 'Introductions' section.  It just didn't seem right to do so until I actually own a KX500 even though I've been using this site a ton the last month.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 03:56:59 AM »
to get pipe off you will have to pull gas tank, and side panel as well as 3 pipe mounts, and the springs

????   :roll: Stock Tank you do not need to remove to get the pipe off. If it has a Valdez tank like Motorrads, I can not say.
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
Not to start a war, but when I buy a bike I always hope it has a sleeve and always sleeve them when I have to repair one. I like sleeves!!

Offline m1886

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys, and it makes me feel good to know that this has started a whole new topic.  I will say based on the reading I've done on this site I did get the feeling that plated was better than sleeved, but we'll see how that discussion turns out. In case anybody is wondering I took a look at the bike today and I came home with my money and no bike.  It was actually an easy pass.  These poor guys had no clue what they had. They traded a small utility trailer for the bike knowing nothing about it.  The chain was junk and had chewed up the swingarm and subframe, and it had a major carburetor problem.  It started up very nicely but then the idle speed just kept getting higher and higher with no limit in sight until you hit the kill switch all without you even touching the throttle AND gas was pouring out of one of the vent lines.  I'm guessing a bad needle/seat or possibly a leaky float but who knows?  The scariest thing was what I just described combined with the fact that I swear they had straight gas in the tank.  The first time I started it I didn't see any smoke from the exhaust and I asked them if they put mixed gas in there.  He told me yes, but I insisted that we drain the gas tank and put in some fresh 40:1 Maxima K2 I brought along with me.  The gas we drained out didn't look or smell like premix. It didn't fix any of the other problems, but sure enough she started to smoke and smell like a 2 stroke.  Who knows what damage has been done already?  So, the search continues and I keep reminding myself I'm not in a hurry, this riding season is pretty much over here anyway and I have all winter to scan the classifieds.

Offline allan1353

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
Good luck on your search.  :-)

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »
Sounds like a wise 'pass' on that one. They pop up every now and then. This summer here in the Seattle area there were four at one time in various states of modification on CL. One was over 600cc (610?). Don't be in a hurry and you will find a good one.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...