Author Topic: DOGBONES Custom made DOGBONES  (Read 86317 times)

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

Re: DOGBONES Custom made DOGBONES
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
what exactly do these do to the suspension over the stock length?  Sorry, I guess this is one thing I'm not up on.

I'm wondering the same thing. Shorter links will raise the rear end and steepen the steering angle, making the bike turn better.
 Does anyone know what the hot set-up is for a 500? Doldguy said 2mm shorter did good things for his 250. If some magic length was known to be beneficial, simple non adjustable links could be manufactured at much lower cost than blingy Devol copies.
 Looking for some first hand test experience here....

The magic length was 132.5 mm. The shortened length reduces the linkage ratio between the axle and the shock, meaning that as you would bounce over rocks and cause your rear wheel to rise and fall, the shock would be moving less as opposed to longer dog bones. This would reduce the bucking effect experienced over rough terrain. The shorter dog bones also  allow the rider's weight to shift forward.

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
so if I'm understanding this right, would this also require a change in shock springs?  I assume the shorter length makes the rear end ride higher which is what helps a rider get over the front?  Is this a problem with the KX 500?  I just have not noticed any bucking over rough terrain (could the bucking over rough terrain be more for high speed rough terrain like in a desert?), I wonder though if part of that is the fact that I'm a big guy and getting forward is not hard.  I do have a short inseam so if the shorter dog bones would raise the seat height, that would not be good for me. 

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
I have no first hand experience with theses, but I remember talking to some of the Team Green desert racing mechanics/riders, and they say the shorter dog bones improve the turning of the kx500, and make it easier to ride in technical sections. As far as bucking over rough terrain, I was describing another benefit I thought about once I was thinking about how they would affect the geometry of the suspension. There is no need to change the rear spring as a result of the shorter dogbones, but of course it would be a good time to grease and/or replace all of your bearings and adjust your rear sag. I would think that lowering the forks in the triple clamps will help offset any negative effects the shorter dogbones would have on high speed stability. Also, I want to mention that all of these Team Green KX500s had offset triple clamps. Mine came with a BRP upper and stock lower. It was amazing how many parts they kept stock if they could.

Offline Maicoman

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 04:59:58 AM »
I would like to get a set if it's not to late.

Thanks Al

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2012, 08:31:25 AM »
I would also like a couple of sets too please

Offline martyestes

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 05:33:48 AM »
1 set please.  Let's get 'er moving!   :-D

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 05:58:29 AM »
I think I'm in for a set as well.......just for the "cool" factor!!!....hahahhaa
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2012, 07:19:55 AM »
EARTH TO LARRY AND DOUG?    You guys alive?

whats going on?

If you arnt going to do anything let me know so I can move on to Emig...

Motorrad

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
EARTH TO LARRY AND DOUG?    You guys alive?

whats going on?

If you arnt going to do anything let me know so I can move on to Emig...

No responce means?

Motorrad

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 06:19:26 AM »
Tom  check your PM's...

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 06:31:14 AM »
Tom  check your PM's...
PM sent Motorrad

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 12:17:19 AM »
Does any one know what's the best material to use for making these dog bones. Been looking at links made for newer bikes and they say they are made with T7050 alloy. Got a work mate who got the tooling to make a set for me. Just need to make sure it made with something that's not going to break. Anyone got any experience with aluminium alloys.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 01:56:15 AM »

7075 or 2024 are higher strength than 6061. Search for Fortal 7075. Great material for this type of part.

Larry

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2012, 03:48:54 AM »
Ok Larry thanks for that will look into that

Motorrad

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2012, 04:20:54 AM »
Emig will be setup to make em within a week to two weeks time
;0)