Author Topic: Team Green frame gusseting  (Read 11505 times)

Offline 81cr450

Team Green frame gusseting
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
Any of you guys with the factory bikes have some pics of the frame gusseting they did over stock? I've seen the "guards" but none of the gusseting work. In a early 90's dirt rider I remember mention of gusseting. I'd like to see if anybody has some pics
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Motorrad

Re: Team Green frame gusseting
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:55:17 AM »
Any of you guys with the factory bikes have some pics of the frame gusseting they did over stock? I've seen the "guards" but none of the gusseting work. In a early 90's dirt rider I remember mention of gusseting. I'd like to see if anybody has some pics

Im guessing this question was directed at me..

If i told you.. Id have to kill you.... its top secret race things from 20 years ago.  :roll:

Honestly. I have never compaired to my other frames.

I do know my frame has the guards, and I do know every single weld on it is HAND done.. VERY WELL.

Ill drag one of my extra frames out of the loft tonight, and compair them... your lucky I have my seat and tank off right now.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »
Cool . I'm not just thinking yours. There's a few factory bikes on here it would be nice to see a variety of what was done by team green .

Like 2 stroke Toms gorgeous bike

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,9758.30.html

Give me & others ideas to duplicate

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »
Thanks for the compliments 81cr450! Team Green really knew what they were doing with these bikes and mine always runs awesome. I still haven't taken the motor apart after several years of use now, but I plan on doing the Larry Wiechman head mod when I return from vacation in a week or so. I'll be sure to take pics and post. Then, I plan on doing a full rebuild around October or so!

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »
Cool thanks guys. It'll be interesting to see what they did & where they thought the frame could use a little extra beef. It seems your pipe mounts & such might even be a better design too. Make me think of stuff like this for 914 porsche's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Chassis-Stiffening-Tr-Arm-Boxing-Kit-Plans-/120962509563?hash=item1c29ed6afb&item=120962509563&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_949

Where you would overlay & then "spot" weld the reinforcements to keep the heat from destroying the existing structure

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:24:17 PM »
Full rebuild in october? You gettin 'er done

bump for gusseting pics

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 02:55:04 AM »
Full rebuild in october? You gettin 'er done

bump for gusseting pics
Sorry 81cr450, haven't got around to the rebuild yet. The weather here in California has been so hot the last month, I keep taking the boat to the river and prolonging all of my projects. Plus, I keep going riding so I hate to think about putting this animal out of commission! I'll get around to it and be sure to document. I can still get some of the frame gusseting pics for you prior to my rebuild. Give me a few days and I will get to it. I promise!

Offline deicide76

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
How about getting a Jadoul tank

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
Awesome Thanks Tom. Enjoy the weather while you can winter is on its way, were freezing at night up here. As clean as that bike looks it suprising you'd tear it down anyway. Gotta keep it nice though  :mrgreen:

Whats a Jadoul tank  deicide76, sorry if its a dumb question

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »
Hey 81cr450. Since I'm chasing my problem of continuing to break carburetor jet needles, I pulled the gas tank and carb off and shot some pics of the frame gusseting near the steering tube. Compared to a stock frame, this is much beefier. Looks like traingulated metal and excellent hand welds are the ticket. Let me know if there are other areas you are interested in.
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/rjhansens/media/IMG_1148.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/rjhansens/media/IMG_1139.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
http://s1246.beta.photobucket.com/user/rjhansens/media/IMG_1142.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Perfect Thank You  :-D. Those are some nice looking welds you can sure see the difference next to the factory weld.
The upper shock tower & the lower 90* bend by the foot peg would be the other places I'd like to see. I'm betting that they helped it out some there as well

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »
Here you go 81cr450:
Shock Tower Area

Foot peg mounting area

Love the quality of welding in this shot since you can see the reinforced radiator mount and some of the welding of the upper radiator tank. No crimps!

Offline serafin

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
Not wanting to create an argument, but your frame gusseting pics appear to be stock.  Nothing special compared to my 03.  The only pic I might question is the upper shock tower.  I didn't want to take my bike apart to check that part out.  Your radiators reinforcements definitely not stock.  My understanding was the upper shock mount was reinforced and the lower engine mounts were beefed up. Along with water pump guards.  If you look close you will see the lower engine mounts were only welded on one side. Anyone else want to chime in.  I'm all ears.

S

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »
Not wanting to create an argument, but your frame gusseting pics appear to be stock.  Nothing special compared to my 03.  The only pic I might question is the upper shock tower.  I didn't want to take my bike apart to check that part out.  Your radiators reinforcements definitely not stock.  My understanding was the upper shock mount was reinforced and the lower engine mounts were beefed up. Along with water pump guards.  If you look close you will see the lower engine mounts were only welded on one side. Anyone else want to chime in.  I'm all ears.

S
No worries serafin, I was just showing pics of a factory bike I bought, so maybe there are no differences here. I have no bike other frame to compare it to other than looking at ebay pics of frames. From what I've seen, these welds look hand done and a lot beefier than some of the pics I'm looking at. Maybe this will show it better:
Looks almost stock at first glance to me, but it appears that there is more metal added for the stabilizer mount and near the bottom of the heard tube. Maybe someone can post pics of a stock one for comparison?
?

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »
You can also see how Team Green fixed the broken exhaust mount problem. I believe they added metal that connect to the rad mount. It doesn't look like the mounts on the pics I see of stock frames.

Also, it appears as though all of the welds were gone over by hand from what it looks like to me.