Author Topic: Spray foam insulation  (Read 9049 times)

Offline Adz478

Spray foam insulation
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:33:41 PM »
Just wanted to know if anybody has tried putting expanding spray foam in the ends of their handlebars to reduce viabration. If so did it help reduce any arm pump? Cheers :-D

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Spray foam insulation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »
have'nt heard of anyone trying foam insulation in the bars,I tried it once in a frame on 93 KX250...helped for a while,but I think it breaks down over time and you lose the little benifits it gives you.
I have heard of guys pumping silicone/caulking in their bars with good results.
Another option some guys like is the FasstFlex bars....there's a thread on here about them,just type that in the "search" option and it'll come up. 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Adz478

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 12:03:38 AM »
I suppose the foam would eventually break down in time, Cheers Foxx

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 02:39:07 AM »
Another thing you can try,that does'nt cost a thing,is....keep a looser grip on the bars than you normally would.A local expert mentioned this to me several years ago,and I will say,it is alot easier said than done,but if you can get past your brain telling you to hold on for dear life,it will help ALOT.
Again,easier said than done.I just got back from a 2 hour trail ride...it rained last night,so there were alot of wet slimey roots,and many times the bars wanted to fly outa my hands,and I found myself getting arm pump/numbness and death gripping after a while.When this happens,I try to just SLOW down and take deep breaths for a few minutes,rather than stopping and resting.If you can RIDE through it,you'll have it happen less and less.But if you get to the point where you feel as though you might not be able to let off the throttle from so much arm pump,by ALL MEANS....SHUT IT DOWN!! :-D
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:56:06 PM »
Just wanted to know if anybody has tried putting expanding spray foam in the ends of their handlebars to reduce viabration. If so did it help reduce any arm pump? Cheers :-D

The best trick for reducing bar buzz is to stuff 3/8" fuel line up inside the bars. spray the hose with Armour All or WD40 to lubricate the hose so i slides into the bars easier. Good luck.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Suva

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 06:16:04 AM »
My brother has used the spray foam in both handle bars and frame with good results.  the fuel line trick sounds promising as well

Offline Adz478

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:22:09 PM »
Spray foam insulation, fuel hose, silicone caulking sound like they are all a good cheap solutions to reduce vibration. Think i will give the fuel hose a go first, and install some new grips. I usually have always run with the thinner/cheaper grips and never gave it too much consideration, iam now looking into thicker softer dual compound grips. In the end it comes down to personal choice but what grips are you guys running????and finding comfortable??? :-)

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 03:10:55 AM »
I like the thin Pro Taper grips, no waffle, all diamond. I seem to recall there was some company that sold a solid rubber piece that slipped inside your bars it was round and the same diameter as the inside of the bars, I also think it was pre big bars.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:37:11 AM »
I like the thin Pro Taper grips, no waffle, all diamond. I seem to recall there was some company that sold a solid rubber piece that slipped inside your bars it was round and the same diameter as the inside of the bars, I also think it was pre big bars.

This is the GOOD STUFF:

http://www.barsnake.com/order/secure.html
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 04:52:37 AM »
Team Green was filling their frames with foam for a while.
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 06:50:49 AM »

As I read, the "foam" method works great, but it's short lived. Water intrusion and vibration eventually breaks down the foam.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:39 AM »

As I read, the "foam" method works great, but it's short lived. Water intrusion and vibration eventually breaks down the foam.

+1 on that statement....the frame I filled worked great for a season,then it went away.

Offline don46

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »

This is the GOOD STUFF:

http://www.barsnake.com/order/secure.html

yep, thats what I was thinking of, couldn't remember the name
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 03:28:50 AM »

True......then again the Team Green bike frames were used for only a few races per year. 
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline oldpablo

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 03:35:57 AM »
Was told about spray foam in frame during a phone conversation with a super helpful motorhead guru type that loves to download massive amounts of information via the ear canal. I love those guys! He said he does it to all his cro-moly frames. So i went ahead and did it to my '88 k5. Definately a world of differance. Of course I had to over think it and use a longer hose than the foam can comes with. I fished the hose so i would get as much of the frame as possible. About half way through, the pressure do to the longer hose caused the can to pop off. This sprayed foam all over my freshly powder coated frame. Still haven't got all the residue off yet. Typical for me.