Author Topic: Cylinder question  (Read 5379 times)

dezracer

Cylinder question
« on: September 15, 2004, 04:22:38 AM »
I'm in the process of totally rebuilding my KX500.  I bought the bike used and the neglected top-end needs maintenance.  Got to ride it one time.   :evil:   So basically the cylinder is very worn.  Some mild scaring, nikasil flaking off around the exhaust ports and just overall way overdue for a fresh top-end.  So my question is......what is the best type of cylinder to have?  Should I get it replated with Nikasil or just have it resleeved with a boreable cylinder.  

In my mind the Nikasil is the right thing to do.  I've heard that it's way cheaper to do it the other way so that I can just have it bored out every time I need to clean up the cylinder.  

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
CW

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Cylinder question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 04:41:01 AM »
dezrazer,
Resleeve,just mine 2 cent! :wink:
You can change many pistons before a new resleeve. 8)

// doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

mikesmith

Cylinder question
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 07:39:38 AM »
Rick puts the most miles of all of us I would say and he replates his.Cant remember who he uses,theres a thread here somewhere on it.

DanH1

Cylinder question
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 07:55:51 AM »
Replate!!

dezracer

Cylinder question
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 10:23:16 AM »
How much for a new cylinder and where could I get one a a descent price?   :?:

Rick

Cylinder question
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 10:56:07 AM »
Replate, replate, replate!!!  If you are very fast, you will HATE a sleeve.  There is only one company that I allow to do this work, as they do the replate work for most of the factory teams.  Here is the link (check out the testimonials):

http://www.rpmsbigbore.com/

I actually have two cylinders so I have not down time.  However, I know that RPM also has a replacment program that works pretty well.

As for miles, yup, I ride a lot, as I'm trying to get all the riding in possible before I die.  This summer, I even spent 9 days in the mountains camping over the 4th of July, and rode just under 700 miles, but then again, I was trying to get back in shape after my broken collarbone.  Oh yea, it worked...

Also, today I picked up enough oil to mix 50 gallons of gas, so think I am set through the rirst part of November...I hope.

Good luck.

Rick

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Cylinder question
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 03:21:09 PM »
Also check out Forword Motion http://www.eric-gorr.com many people happy and stupidly low prices. Used him for years and have never had any trouble, he replated almost every bike I've had. It's now $450 for a total top-end rebuild, including porting (to your choice), piston and gaskets, cleaning the complete cylinder and PV, this also includes a bore to 520cc and NICOM plating by US Chrome, which I believe RPM uses for their replating too.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Cylinder question
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 03:43:46 PM »
Kelly's $325 for a new cylinder, atleast the one and only time I had to purchase one ;)

Folke

Cylinder question
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 05:56:18 PM »
Replate !! replated cylinder are better than a new one (thicker Nicasil)

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Cylinder question
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 06:15:54 PM »
Opsopsops!!!1 :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
I`m so sorry, naturally should you replate NOT resleeve I mixed the words. :oops:

I got a resleeved cylinder and have many problem about the heat
don`t even expand from aluminium to steel,causes siezing spots.
So if you don?t want any problem,replate it.

Sorry again for mixed words!

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

dezracer

Cylinder question
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 05:07:25 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm going with my original plan and will have the cylinder replated.  I'm going to use Rick Peterson Motorsports.  They are close to me so I should get my cylinder back within 3 weeks.  I checked on buying a new cylinder and Kelly's said it would be like $560.  Maybe in the future that would be an option.  I'm a little poor right now since I just got done doing the motor on my 380 and the 500 is getting the works.  I'm totally redoing the whole bike.  The checking account is running a little low. Hopefully when I'm done, the 500 will rip again. :)

Rick

Cylinder question
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 09:04:34 AM »
I just love a fresh 500...

dezracer

Cylinder question
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 09:31:58 AM »
It's better than new car smell. :D

dezracer

Cylinder question
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 04:46:19 AM »
Thanks for the tip on Rick Petersons Motorsports.  They hooked me up.  I decided to go through the whole motor.  New top-end, bearings, seals and repainted the frame and cleaned everything.  It does not look like the same bike that I started with.  Sweet. :D

rradar

Cylinder question
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 02:41:14 PM »
That's the way to do it. Just replace everything at once. Early summer I did the same thing including the bottom end as well. I opted to powder coat my frame in black and replaced every fastener, nut and bolt while I was at it. I wanted a newer K5 but my boss gave me a $2K budget to rebuild. I just had the suspension rebuilt by Race Tech last summer. Ha! I still have $300 left over to put something else into it! How does the V-Force perform compared to the Rad Valve?