Author Topic: re-mounting frame yoke  (Read 3404 times)

Offline jBernard

re-mounting frame yoke
« on: May 09, 2012, 05:36:36 AM »

I've rough cut my main downtube a bit long and mocked up a new designed yoke and where i have it positioned to clear the exhaust outlet fine, but as it sits now upper main tube would block KIPS servicing plate thats above the header.
Are you guys mounting yours so high that you have access thru the yoke to get to the KIPS plate? I think i'd have to move my yoke up another inch almost and that would put it very high with little main tube left coming down. obviously the higher the yoke is the less strength there will be in the legs below it since they are extended higher.
Let me know what you think, if the service plate is something i'll probably never have to touch i'd rather mount the yoke lower and have the added strength.
Thanks for any hlep.
Taylor
'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline kxpegger

Re: re-mounting frame yoke
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:51:49 AM »

I've rough cut my main downtube a bit long and mocked up a new designed yoke and where i have it positioned to clear the exhaust outlet fine, but as it sits now upper main tube would block KIPS servicing plate thats above the header.
Are you guys mounting yours so high that you have access thru the yoke to get to the KIPS plate? I think i'd have to move my yoke up another inch almost and that would put it very high with little main tube left coming down. obviously the higher the yoke is the less strength there will be in the legs below it since they are extended higher.
Let me know what you think, if the service plate is something i'll probably never have to touch i'd rather mount the yoke lower and have the added strength.
Thanks for any hlep.
Taylor
Mine is a Service Honda so I didn't build it. They put the down tube right in front of it with maybe an 1/8" or 1/4" clearance from the cover bolts so I won't be removing it anytime soon. If you raise the yoke to high you will lose bottom radiator clearance and mounting will become a much greater challenge. I'd go with what you think will be stronger, not worry about the inspection cover and leave room for the radiators.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline jBernard

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »

thanks for the reply. i'll design for just clearance for the header and keep the emphasis on strength.
Taylor
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
I used sunken screws with alanhead so the stock bolts won't stick out for more clearance.
I have KXF250 from 2007 with a 500 in it. I have a topic about it.
Do you want to use a bigger tank now or later. Do it now, mine doesn't fit because one radiator is to high.
It's hard work to build your own, but real fun! So enjoy it.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline jBernard

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

thanks, i plan on making a carbon fiber tank that will clear a full length sparkplug, and getting custom made radiators built with AN fittings!
'14 KTM 300SX