Author Topic: SHOULD IT IDLE ??? PART II  (Read 1725 times)

89kx500

SHOULD IT IDLE ??? PART II
« on: September 07, 2004, 09:19:16 AM »
as i stated in an earlier posting, my 89 500 would not idle and i thank you all for the help , but sometimes the answers to a question can hurt ,i bought this bike about three months ago and the owner said it never idled , as did some of the guys i ride with , i wanted to try and get it to idle alittle without stalling, according to my buddies the choke knob was also the idle screw on kehin carbs. like on old honda's and suzuki's , well the knob did nothing, and again my buddies said the 500's "do not idle "and are not suppose to, i have a manual for an 88 and thought the carb was different. this past weekend i went to another buddies to ride in his pit , and while the bike was still loaded i looked into what i thought was a dead hole only to see threads (wow!!!!) the idle screw vibrated out and no one realized it , riding all this time the carb sucking in who knows what , being labor day weekend the only store open was "the home depot" so a 5mm bolt ,a grinder and two nuts to lock it and the bike idles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
   this isn't the worst yet, i went home and told the wife what i found and she looked at me funny and said a month ago when i replaced the reeds that i told her about the missing idle screw........ouch........i'm not that old

mikesmith

SHOULD IT IDLE ??? PART II
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 08:14:10 PM »
Maybe your headed there,were all headed there! (old that is)