Author Topic: Oops...  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
Oops...
« on: April 22, 2012, 04:07:20 PM »
So I washed the KX500 today, rolled it a little down the yard and bump started it in second with the compression release pushed in. Later the wife gets on me for what I did in the yard. "Did what?" "You know what, and don't tell me you don't!"
So I go look. Two big bare spots where the lawn is torn off down to dirt. I am thinking there are two pulses showing. If the engine turns at say, 600 rpm, as soon as it fires that is ten revolutions per second. In the short part of a second between when the bike fired and I had the clutch pulled in, that would be about right I guess... Two good pulses. Two spots of torn up lawn... Oops. Good thing I didn't have more room in front of me or it would have been one long strip!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline dave916

Re: Oops...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »
what kind of a db killer is that? and what color paint is on the pipe?

Offline dieselbeef

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
compression release?? wtf is that?

strange can on that pipe fella....

gary

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:53:57 PM »
Its a add on spark arrestor.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:42:09 AM »

strange can on that pipe fella....

gary

It's a Cobra Sparky.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:14:25 AM »
what color paint is on the pipe?

looks like a stock pipe.....and that kickstarter needs to be rotated forward two teeth...that would drive me nuts!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:17:25 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »
Can't fool anybody on the KX site! Stock pipe, Cobra spark arrestor. Good idea on the kicker! I will do that! See "compression release" on this site for details. One of the best mods I have done on any of the three KX500's I have had. thought I had four KX5's but the wife corrected me... I did not end up buying one of them, just remembered that I did. d**n memory!

Offline dieselbeef

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »
im beating the same 95 model i bought in 97...rebuilt the whole thing already at least once..twice on the motor and susp tho

thats bout where my kickstarter rides....

COMP RELEASE...WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN COMP RELEASE.

i always tell people if they can start it they can ride it...aint had anyone pass the test in a very long time

gary

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:51:19 AM »
thats bout where my kickstarter rides.

It should be more forward,tucked up under the pipe....look at everyones pics in the "Post Pics Of Your KX" thread,and you'll see everyone has them where they should be.With it being rotated back that far,not only does it not give you a FULL kick,but it gets in the way,and by looking at his pic....its rubbing on the pipe...MAJOR rattle maker!!...this is how it should sit.This is how they sit from the factory.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:55:34 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 03:46:44 AM »
It's really more that I forget to do it until I ride again, then think "Later" and go ride. Seeing it here will remind me. I would go out and do it now, but, "Later" sounds good! I usually write out a list of things to do on my various projects so I remember what I wanted to do, but have not on this one. I guess because I have not really had to do much on it. I kind of like that it is so stock and un-modded. Of course I can not leave it that way!

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 03:53:56 AM »
"COMP RELEASE...WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN COMP RELEASE.
i always tell people if they can start it they can ride it...aint had anyone pass the test in a very long time"

Yeahhhh. Well, don't know how old you are, but things start changing and suddenly you find the things you used to do and say don't really apply any more... Easy to modify your beliefs when the body starts letting you know it is breaking down. As my dear sweet mother used to say, "Getting old is not for the weak!" She spoke the truth!

Offline dieselbeef

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 04:36:18 AM »
haha..im  47 going on..well depends if its morning or after noon....anyways ill be fixin that kickstarter...my bikes on here somewhere aslo

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 06:52:50 AM »
I got ten on you. It is more of a wear issue though. Seven surgeries, four broken bones, arthritis, bla, bla, bla. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. Probably more if I think about it. It sucks. Stuff my parents used to say, ?You are going to regret doing that!? come back to haunt. Six hundred MG IBU twice a day to feel ?normal?. Yee-Haw! Not to mention the other drugs ?cause the bod is slowly fading. Start having to pick and choose what I want to do as I WILL pay for it a day later. Sorry for bitching. Feeling particularly bad this morning. Started a 737 thrust reverser change last night at work and the shoulders are PISSED at me!