Author Topic: KX glitch's  (Read 2320 times)

Offline vintage MXer

KX glitch's
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
86 500 B2 wont start, act's like no spark to engine,
cranking it does no good.
no matter what i do ,,, does nothing.
got it two yrs ago, havent had it started but once.
never got to ride it either.
good cond for over 20 yr old bike,
maybe coil?
was cranking it and then a backfire but then still nothing.
frustrated.

Offline alward25

Re: KX glitch's
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
check the reeds
"Let there be light"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:50:02 PM »
act's like no spark to engine,

ok, so the first most simplistic test is to pull the plug, connect to the wire, ground the plug anf kick the engine over and verify yes there is or no there is not spark....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline turdle

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:40:25 AM »
act's like no spark to engine,

ok, so the first most simplistic test is to pull the plug, connect to the wire, ground the plug anf kick the engine over and verify yes there is or no there is not spark....
i agree with PB. make sure you have a GOOD blue spark! if not then there are a few places to look. since the bike is old and has been sitting, pull the ignition cover off and make sure everything is nice and clean. no dirt OR rust on the INSIDE of flywheel. if you have a good spark, then you have to go the other way. pull your carb,check your reeds, pull float bowl,make sure its clean and float needle is letting fuel in.... let us know what you find

Offline ScreamingJimmy

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:50:34 AM »
I have had the same problem withe the same year K5 just before I rebuilt my bike last. My problem was that my air box cracked and was letting sand into the engine and that fixed my top end real good :x. My bike got to the point where I had to roll start it of a big steep hill to get it to start. Comp (if it is low) than, you have your answer. Get a good screw in comp gauge open the throttle all the way thin kick till you get the highest reading I think that it should be ~ 160 to 175 ill have to check the green bible.