Author Topic: ...on my big green tractor (91 KX500 Build)  (Read 25208 times)

Offline jgturbo

...on my big green tractor (91 KX500 Build)
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
Just bought a plated 1991 KX500 a week ago. Rode it for the first time on Sunday at the Eddiville GP track in south-central Washington. First impressions are as follows:

Uh, where's third? Oh well, hope it will pull fourth gea...braaaaap!!!

Good gravy! This thing's got torque!

Clutch pull is a little stiff though.

Forgot how flex-y 20 year old forks were.

Wish the seat wasn't a banana.

So anyway, I don't have 3rd gear so I rode the course entirely in 4th gear. Worked fine for the GP track. Took it on the moto section and was wishing I had 3rd. Will be tearing it down shortly.

I'll have to wait until I tear it down to be sure, but I'm guessing 3rd gear slipped on the shaft (took out a c clip or bent a shift fork). Anyway, undercutting the dogs would keep the gears from loading other components axially, so that seems like a good idea.

I can't get over how tractor-like this motor is! Pulls right of an idle. Interested to see what the insides look like. I peeked through the spark plug hole before I rode it and it's got a brand new piston (shiny), but the cylinder is scuffed. The airbox was full of sand, so I can only assume the motor is too. The bike came with an extra cylinder and head. The extra cylinder is off a shifter cart and wildly ported. Not sure what to do with it. The head has goofy dimples (hammer and center punch) on half of the squish band. I was told that this was to prevent pinging. Not really buying it.

Motorrad, could you PM me contact info for getting my head modded and a compression release installed? That looks like a slick setup.

Does anyone have experience with the Magura hydraulic clutch? They're magic on KTMs and Husabergs. Are they just as good on a KX?

So this is the beginning of the tale of a KX500 motor and me. Hopefully I'll start a dualsport thread in the general section pretty soon. Waiting to see if the plates transfer along with the title. Crossing my fingers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:44:03 PM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

Offline jgturbo

Re: ...on my big green tractor (91 KX500 Build)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:13:31 AM »
Hit up the DMV yesterday aaaaannnnnddddd....... I'm Plated! Current tags util 2013. No questions asked. Time to start posting pics!

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 12:45:50 PM »
Hit up the DMV yesterday aaaaannnnnddddd....... I'm Plated! Current tags util 2013. No questions asked. Time to start posting pics!

awesome!   another member with a plate!...

Bring on the pics!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »
I was suppose to get a plated K5 last week but the guy flaked out.
That's great you found one and had no problems registering it.
My search continues...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline cobbs

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
sandblaster I  don't know where you live but there is a titled and plated k5 here in Colorado near Denver  its on craigslist the only problems  is he wants 2500$ but he's been trying to sell for a while so bet money he would take he would take less its a very clean bike too

Offline cobbs

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:24:46 PM »
sorry for the double there I just mean one( he would take) ohh and hey motorad my bike is plated too its some serious fun nothing can beat it at least till I run out of gear!

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »
sorry for the double there I just mean one( he would take) ohh and hey motorad my bike is plated too its some serious fun nothing can beat it at least till I run out of gear!

Thats why us cool guys have overdrive 5th gear...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 03:52:10 AM »
sandblaster I  don't know where you live but there is a titled and plated k5 here in Colorado near Denver  its on craigslist the only problems  is he wants 2500$ but he's been trying to sell for a while so bet money he would take he would take less its a very clean bike too

Thanks for the heads up.
I'm in Eugene Oregon, Denver is a bit out of the way,
Another will come along I just need to be patient.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 03:54:25 AM »

[/quote]

Are there any of those gears still available?
I thought there was a batch made up by a former member who we lost contact with...

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 06:19:27 AM »

Are there any of those gears still available?
I thought there was a batch made up by a former member who we lost contact with...
[/quote]

We are looking into having another set made...   By we. I mean crazy al racing

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 06:25:35 AM »
It would be nice to have a set sitting on the shelf for when my SM project becomes a reality.

Offline jgturbo

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
The titled and plated frame is on the bucket. The motor in the bike matches the bare frame.

Here's the goofy spare head that came with the bike. Anyone have experience with dimples?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:01:25 PM by jgturbo »

Offline cobbs

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
hey sandblaster there are two titled frames here in Colorado too if that helps I know its a lot easier to ship a frame than a bike and they are pretty cheap one is $200 something the other is $300 and I believe they are both 90s models

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »
Thanks!
I really appreciate that but I really need an Oregon titled and plated frame as the last one I got from out of State they would not let me get it plated for Oregon.
Why?
I have no idea....