Author Topic: Gear change mechanism help please?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline NZ500

Gear change mechanism help please?
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
Please help :? I have a '90 kx500. I've just replaced all the shift forks, change drum and clutch but still having a bit of trouble changing gears. Changing the shift forks and change drum fixed the original problem I had of grinding gears. Now I'm finding it won't grind gears but will often go into neutral when up shifting (either 2nd or 3rd gear mostly it seems, other gears seem alright).

It's easiest to see whats happening with the bike on the stand. If I pull the gear lever upwards it will go most of the way up and make a slight click, but doesn't seem to turn the change drum enough to get it all the way into the next gear. If I turn the wheel then click it up again it will then go into gear. I've replaced heaps of parts on this bike (it must have done over a thousand hours) and I'm pretty sure it's either part 13165 or 13161 (change lever) that is causing me problems. You can see them in this fiche: http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=381760&category=Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=1990&fveh=8825. The bike is all together at the moment  but I thought someone might be able to tell me what one of the two parts would be causing my problem? Does the piece not connected to the shaft (13165) do the whole upshift by itself or does it use the other part (connected to the gear lever shaft) to finish the shift?

I hope that makes some sense. The lever that seems to take the load upshifting (13165) isn't very expensive at least so I'm hoping just a new one of those will sort it out.

BTW, I have bent the gear lever outwards to make sure it's not the ignition cover stopping it going all the way. It's also not hitting the chain.

Any help from someone more experienced would be much appreciated.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: Gear change mechanism help please?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:58:33 AM »
the spring numbered 92144a is responsible for holding the shift star in gear, check this is good.hard to say about the parts you state without seeing them, but if they are worn it may cause issues like you have explained. replace spring 92081 also if you haven't already. if you have, check them anyway, you wouldn't be the first person to buy a duff one, even from a dealer...K
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline NZ500

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
Nice one thanks very much. I've just finished ordering parts. I got all 3 springs for it and the shift pawl part which was surprisingly cheap. Ended up getting a gear lever too because the one on it is pretty flimsy (and fugly) so might not help.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:10:47 PM »
Nice one thanks very much. I've just finished ordering parts. I got all 3 springs for it and the shift pawl part which was surprisingly cheap. Ended up getting a gear lever too because the one on it is pretty flimsy (and fugly) so might not help.

If you want pics of how the springs go... Let me know

Offline NZ500

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 11:04:48 PM »
Ok, thanks for that Motorrad. I'll see how I get on. Depending on freight method will be 1-3 weeks until I have the bits.