Author Topic: K5 top end  (Read 2955 times)

riverrunner

K5 top end
« on: August 21, 2004, 09:32:46 AM »
As per my new guy post I finally got my bike, but i would like to get some top end out of it. It's bone stock 2000  model super low hours, crazy torque but I would like some top end. I think maybe FMF gnarly and v force reeds???????? :twisted:

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
K5 top end
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 03:18:33 PM »
Hmmmm... Save the money on pipes and reeds, send your cylinder to Forword Motion and have it ported for top-end and have them bore it out to a 520. You can't ever go wrong with that. Kawdude and myself have had the modifications done and they are worth the money and time of wait. Pipes and reeds will be noticed in the top, but not a gnarly, that is more for lowend and mid. I'd say maybe a gnarly desert pipe (top-end pipe) and boyesen pro series reeds seem to have done me in, plus the eric gorr. The pipe made the biggest diffrence as in bolt on mods, but FM did a scary diffrence in the power and that is just the way I like it.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
K5 top end
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 03:29:11 PM »
Considering the aerodynamics of the bike prevent it from going much over 115 or so - and I can attain 111 with gearing + pipe + reeds and jetting - I'd spend my cash on fixing that crappy stock suspension.

Horse power make's no difference if you can't make it stick ;)

mikesmith

K5 top end
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 08:41:58 PM »
Perfect the jetting,FMF or PC desert pipe,balance the crank if you ride WFO,shorten the silencer some, maybe Boysen reeds,and as a top end only bike a PVL ignition.Try one thing at a time.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
K5 top end
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 12:08:09 AM »
Mike. won't it give alot more low end power if you shorten the silencer?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
K5 top end
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 01:21:26 AM »
Quote from: gowen
Mike. won't it give alot more low end power if you shorten the silencer?

True statement. that's why little bikes have wee tiny silencers ;)

mikesmith

K5 top end
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 05:54:11 AM »
Whoops!I may have wrote that at around 3:00am,so I guess I wasnt quite awake!Some times I need to just get off the computer and go to bed,but I dont.Short for low end or bark,longer for top end or less bark,sorry. :oops: