Author Topic: skidplates  (Read 2416 times)

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
skidplates
« on: August 20, 2004, 07:41:20 PM »
Hello my friends!

What?s best skidplate for our bikes?
Need a good waterpump protected skidplate.
Any idea?

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
skidplates
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 03:13:19 AM »
DG Extreme Baja Plate

mikesmith

skidplates
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 05:36:15 AM »
Or weld on KDX style bash bars and a glide plate.

Rick

skidplates
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 04:27:25 AM »
I actually use an old skidplate from Moose (I think) for a KX250.  Welded a plate over the old drain hole, drilled a new drain plug hole, and redrilled the back mounting hole.  This thing has taken so many hits it is actually shaped around the bottom of my frame.  

I have also welded on crash bars in the past, but when it came time to sell the bike, buyers were concerned the bike had been raced too hard, so made for a tough sell.  (As a note, every bike I sell gets a complete paint job in green, all new plastic, good tires and chain, so looks showroom fresh.)  As a result, I just add the skid plate and be done with it.

Rick

Offline KXcam22

skidplates
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:52:37 AM »
Being the cheapskate that I am, I built a skidplate out of some 3/16" aluminum and left it a couple inches wider than the frame tubes to protect the water pump and ignition.  Seems to work.  I plan to weld some angled side plates on it but haven't yet.  Under the engine at the rear, I used a teflon block as a spacer over the recesed frame tubes in the middle so the skidplate sits flat.  4 electrical p-clamps to hold it on and I am away to the races.  I am considering riveting some plastic sheeting (my kids snow slider) on the bottom so it glides better over big trees. Cam.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
skidplates
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 10:32:03 PM »
Thx for info guys! 8)

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!