Author Topic: Bear Gun  (Read 9860 times)

Motorrad

Bear Gun
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
Okay.. since I will be spending a month and a half in bear country, camping..   I have decided my Usual carry gun of a 1911 .45, and a 357 snubby wont cut it... (they will still go).. but I need somthing with some more PUNCH  for camp at night..

Dont want to take any of my current guns (all 20+ of them)   as they are either collectable, or just bird guns..

Thinking 12Ga...  

I like the mossberg 500 (specifically the mariner, as it wont rust)

Must's...   SMALL!       18.5 - 20" bbl..   multi round..

thoughts..

Yes, i used to own a S&W 500 magnum...   but dont like religing on a handgun when you are loading your pants full due to a charging bear

YES YES.. I will have bear spray..   so dont go there..  Hippie
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:43:56 PM by Motorrad »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Bear Gun
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Stop playing with toys.
Get this 28mm bear blaster...

Details
http://www.fieldandstream.com/pages/petzal-and-now-really-manly-handgun
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
thats a big old cannon!  Dont know if you have them your side of the pond, but our military have used klx650's, engine replaced with a diesel and in some guises has a bar mounted machine gun...

Like biking's not dangerous enough  :-o K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
Great, an off topic I can really sink my teeth into.  First, leave all your guns home.  Buy bear pepper spray.  A Brown Bear has a nose 10x stronger than a blood hound, this will really mess them up.  A bullet will just piss them off.  If they are charging at you and want to assert themselves, stand your ground.  They can count, they see strength in numbers.  I have had a number of bear encounters when I lived in Kodiak and was in many parts of Alaska.  Make noise if you are out and about in their woods.  Clean up your food.  If they want it, give it to them.  Your bullet placement with a big gun in a panic if you need to use it will be about as effective as throwing rocks, and like I said before, it will just piss them off.  They are the ultimate ATV.  I have heard, "if you are chased by a bear run downhill."  They can run upwards of 45 mph, uphill, downhill, through heavy brush, across rocks, across streams.  Unless you can run for about 10 minutes just faster than them.  They can keep heat in but, don't get it out as good.  They get very hot from running for long distances.  Don't count on this helping you.  If you have a problem, it will be fairly close and the spray in the face will jack them up the quickest.  If you shoot them with a gun they can still see you and continue to maul you :cry:  Also, if you are going north and want to head into Canada you cannot take your gun.

Hope this helps
Alex
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
Great, an off topic I can really sink my teeth into.  First, leave all your guns home.  Buy bear pepper spray.  A Brown Bear has a nose 10x stronger than a blood hound, this will really mess them up.  A bullet will just piss them off.  If they are charging at you and want to assert themselves, stand your ground.  They can count, they see strength in numbers.  I have had a number of bear encounters when I lived in Kodiak and was in many parts of Alaska.  Make noise if you are out and about in their woods.  Clean up your food.  If they want it, give it to them.  Your bullet placement with a big gun in a panic if you need to use it will be about as effective as throwing rocks, and like I said before, it will just piss them off.  They are the ultimate ATV.  I have heard, "if you are chased by a bear run downhill."  They can run upwards of 45 mph, uphill, downhill, through heavy brush, across rocks, across streams.  Unless you can run for about 10 minutes just faster than them.  They can keep heat in but, don't get it out as good.  They get very hot from running for long distances.  Don't count on this helping you.  If you have a problem, it will be fairly close and the spray in the face will jack them up the quickest.  If you shoot them with a gun they can still see you and continue to maul you :cry:  Also, if you are going north and want to head into Canada you cannot take your gun.

Hope this helps
Alex

Been a Seirras backpacker for years... I know about bear safty... (cleaning etc)..

The reason I say about the shotgun.... and, have had to explain this many a times..

How good does bear spray work while you are in your tent...  :-P

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 06:19:57 PM »
Get a taser if you plan on them coming in your tent lol
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »

or some

Bears Like strawberrys right?

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:32 PM »
Tent camping in bear country is crazy anyway, I carried a .44 mag.
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »
Tent camping in bear country is crazy anyway, I carried a .44 mag.

problem is its mosqito country also... and I fear them more than bears..    HATE HATE bugs.

Offline Goat

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »

or some

LMAO!!!

My dad has a taurus raging bull 500. I'd probably take that. It's got one hell of a kick. I'd think that would put em down if you could get a decent shot off.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »

or some

LMAO!!!

My dad has a taurus raging bull 500. I'd probably take that. It's got one hell of a kick. I'd think that would put em down if you could get a decent shot off.

Reason I sold my smith and wesson 500 magnum  years ago..   "If you could get a decent shot off"

Motorrad

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »
The average (if there is such a thing...) attack is supposed to be three and a half seconds from seeing it to Bear on you. Not a lot of time to get the gun out, aim and shoot. I read a bear attack investigative book and the bottom like is with a Brown Bear/Grizzly you have a 50/50 chance the attack is real, as opposed to a bluff. Black bears can usually be scared off by yelling. There was a big game guide that timed a rifle shot Brown Bear (kill shot) and it tore small tree's out of the ground for nearly thirty seconds before it dropped. They say bear spray works better then a handgun, but I have a friend that killed one with a 44 mag when it stuck it's head into his tent at night. Best thing is avoiding the problem to begin with. Make noise while hiking on a trail, clean up after yourself, don't walk up on them and surprise them. Have fun!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline kawboy

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »
Here is a vid that I made of my buddy shooting his "Bear"ett gun.

http://youtu.be/8qBLuvIOqps
American by birth,Southern by the grace of God!

Offline Goat

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 05:47:23 AM »
Double barrel pistol is pretty sweet. But I like the .50 cal Barrett myself :P