Author Topic: Purchased a KX500 Package Deal and Have Questions  (Read 10520 times)

Offline Millertime

Purchased a KX500 Package Deal and Have Questions
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:10 PM »
I just purchased my first open class beast but in its present condition i would say its paper weight. I picked up a KX500 and it came with an additional KX500 engine. Now i had my dealer run the VIN and the bike is a 1987 KX500-C1 now i wondering what does the C1 mean? Next is there anything to look out for on this year of bike and is it worth fixing up? Also im trying to pin down what year the spare motor is, the engine id number on the case is KX500-005510 and i was wondering if anyone on here could identify the year?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:37:59 AM by Millertime »

Offline alward25

Re: Purchased a KX500 Package Deal and Have Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
Is that a factory racing stamp????
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »
Hello.
Is there 2 letters "BE" after the kx500?
Such as KX500BE004101 - KX500BE006600
If so, the engine is a 1987.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Millertime

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »
Yes the Number should be KX500BE005510 which i found out after i posted this thread that this is the motor that came in the bike orginally which is a 87. So now i have to find out what year the motor that is presently in the bike is.  :?

This bike is going to be interesting to work with to say the least. Considering the guy i picked up off of told me that if i were to kick it over it would fire right up with the coolant lines off and air boot not even connected to the carb. People with the IQ of a cumquat should not be able to own amazing machines such as this its a shame to see it in this condition. :x

But for the price i got everything for i couldnt go wrong i figure with a little TLC to the motors i cold sell them or be in for a total restore project but we will see. Hopefully i can post up some pics of the beast later today and see what you guys think also so you can see why this guy i got this from should be charged with dirt bike manslaughter!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:46:01 AM »
To see any other year of KX500, check my chart here:
http://oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX500BIKEID.aspx
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Millertime

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:40:58 PM »
Ok heres what im working with.

I have given it the name Project Mr. Yuck.

Offline GREENKAW24

• Pinsonnault Racing
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »
The bike is an '85. Nice rare bike to restore, pretty much a one off KX500.

Offline Millertime

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
The bike is an '85. Nice rare bike to restore, pretty much a one off KX500.

Actually its a half breed the motor in the bike is an 85 but the frame is an 87. The motor that is out of the bike is the 87 that goes to the bike.

But my question is it worth fixing her up or should i just get the motors up to snuff and put them up for sale?

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
Nice find. If you decide to rebuild the engines ebay is your friend. I'll help locate parts as well if ya want. Bike isn't in horrible shape but it definitely needs some love.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »
Actually that looks like an '88 frame. Definately a Franken-bike   :-D
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »
don't be disheartened, I'm still findin an fixin other peoples f??k ups 6 yrs later.....
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline turdle

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »
Actually its a half breed the motor in the bike is an 85 but the frame is an 87. The motor that is out of the bike is the 87 that goes to the bike.

But my question is it worth fixing her up or should i just get the motors up to snuff and put them up for sale?   yes it is definitely worth fixing up.if you want an inexpensive K5 to ride 8-) i would rebuild the 87 motor and restore the bike.i started the same journey 2 years ago, when i bought an 87 K5 in about the same condition as yours. then i got bit  big time :mrgreen: craigs list is awesome!! in my quest for parts to improve my 87, i now have a 92 chassis, an 86 K5(restoration project),and 2 spare engines,an 86 and 87. all for about 2K :-)but again its what do you want to do, once you ride a K5 you wont be getting rid of it!!

Offline Millertime

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
Oh boy why did i have a feeling i was going to get talked into restoring this as apposed to just fixing and selling the motors.:roll: Shes going to need a laundry list of things both engines tore down, relace rims, new subframe, all new controls, frame repainted, new rear shock, plastics, and forks but i would like to do a USD converson but is it worth it?

Also can i retro fit the newer style plastic on this? For the 87 engine can i use the new style pistons if i need to put one in it as i know you cant buy an 87 style piston anymore. Also what engine parts are hard to come by for this bike and what can i still get through kawasaki if anything?

I will say this project is going to have to get in line as i also picked this up a few monthes ago which is older and in better shape ironically.

My addiction gets the best of me with good deals.  :-D

Thanks with all the help guys i appreciate all your input!!

Offline turdle

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »
Oh boy why did i have a feeling i was going to get talked into restoring this as apposed to just fixing and selling the motors.:roll: Shes going to need a laundry list of things both engines tore down, relace rims, new subframe, all new controls, frame repainted, new rear shock, plastics, and forks but i would like to do a USD converson but is it worth it?

Also can i retro fit the newer style plastic on this? For the 87 engine can i use the new style pistons if i need to put one in it as i know you cant buy an 87 style piston anymore. Also what engine parts are hard to come by for this bike and what can i still get through kawasaki if anything?

I will say this project is going to have to get in line as i also picked this up a few monthes ago which is older and in better shape ironically.

My addiction gets the best of me with good deals.  :-D

Thanks with all the help guys i appreciate all your input!!
that is cool :-o!! i'm going to guess 74?sounds like our 87's are in about the same condition.you could part out what is good from the 87 also to find better deals.that is how i started my collection.

Offline Millertime

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 05:07:29 AM »
Turdle you were close its a 75 which i had a heck of a time figureing it out but what gave it away were the red and white KX250 on the rear number shrouds. I believe 74 had just white KX250 sticker and the 76 model had black front and rear fenders. But i dont know we will see how bad the 500 is once i start getting into to it and then decide what i want to do with it. But the 75 is definately getting restored for sure.  :-D

I know im gonna take some harrassment for this but im truely a honda guy but for some reasone the Kawasaki's keep finding me. Maybe its a sign or somthing.  :roll: