Author Topic: Baja Designs Kit  (Read 18337 times)

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
Baja Designs Kit
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:09:28 AM »
Has anyone used this street legal kit on their 500(im sure its happened :-D)?

How streetable are these bikes? Should I save my 500 and buy  a street bike? I love my 500 and LOVE riding DS bikes, so im pondering this HEAVILY...
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Motorrad

Re: Baja Designs Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:35:16 AM »
Has anyone used this street legal kit on their 500(im sure its happened :-D)?

How streetable are these bikes? Should I save my 500 and buy  a street bike? I love my 500 and LOVE riding DS bikes, so im pondering this HEAVILY...

Getting a plate isn't as easy as just putting on lights..

I used the baka designs kit on mine..   Will do a review when at a computer (on phone)

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
Their kit looks pretty complete. I did my own on a 97 KX500, but back when I did it there was no inspection in Washington State, you just told the licensing place it was legal and they gave a plate and changed the title. That changed January of this year, plus they said all Off Road Bikes that got plated would have their plates pulled until the bike could be inspected under the new rules. I suspect the guy I sold the bike to had his plate pulled. As it had an "off road only" pipe on it, I am sure he would have to make some changes to get it licensed again. The headlight I had was marginal as the lighting coil was only 35 watt. I have seen a couple of others now that are 45 watt, and one that stated it was 120 watt, but I suspect that was incorrect. There just 'ain't that much room under the wheel for one that size me thinks!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
http://bat-pac.com/index.htm

Anyone use this? Would I still need a high output stator?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »
okay.. drunk baja designs kit review..

front light mounting sucks ass..    they have these stupid metal things that hose clamp to the forks...   why not use rubber strap clamps like every one else??!!  

the bullet connections from them suck butt...    had to redo them all in spade... as they all either pulled appart... or caused problems.

the Light (and ignition) switch broke off VERY easy... its currently epoxy'ed on... we shall see how long it lasts..

Battery pack needs a special charger to charge the batt .... a motorcycle/car charger will kill it (need a RC car charger)..  as its just 10 AA cells...

now for power..

I have the moose "75watt"   stator..     it also SUCKS ASS.      wont even charge my current setup.       (35watt headlight. and LED tail light)..   so it must be rated at 75watt  at like 100,000,000 RPM..    

Reason I have a MZB ignition TRUE 100watts of lighting sitting on the bench from our savior   alward25

what state do you live in?   have you looked into the laws that you need to jump through to get a plate?    I got one here in california.. so perhapse I can be of some assistance;

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:29:13 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
Motorrad you got yours legal in California? I didn't think that was possible anymore... How long ago did you get it through?
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
Drunk posting is so great  :-D
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »

front light mounting sucks ass..    they have these stupid metal things that hose clamp to the forks...   why not use rubber strap clamps like every one else??!!  

the bullet connections from them suck butt...    had to redo them all in spade... as they all either pulled appart... or caused problems.

the Light (and ignition) switch broke off VERY easy... its currently epoxy'ed on... we shall see how long it lasts..

Battery pack needs a special charger to charge the batt .... a motorcycle/car charger will kill it (need a RC car charger)..  as its just 10 AA cells...

now for power..

I have the moose "75watt"   stator..     it also SUCKS ASS.      wont even charge my current setup.       (35watt headlight. and LED tail light)..   so it must be rated at 75watt  at like 100,000,000 RPM..    

Reason I have a MZB ignition TRUE 100watts of lighting sitting on the bench from our savior   alward25

what state do you live in?   have you looked into the laws that you need to jump through to get a plate?    I got one here in california.. so perhapse I can be of some assistance;

Ok a drunk reply. :lol:

I live in NV. i have found i need two mirrors, a horn, working tail/brake and headlights. Plus a turn signal function. I was wondering if this http://bat-pac.com/index.htm would negate needing a high output stator like baja designs recomended. They said I need a ricky stator to make the full kit work.

I just want to ride this bike in town and enjoy stop light beatings of anything on the road. Does street riding take a toll on tranny gears? I dont plan on long trips, like I mention I just wanna ride in town and have fun.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:15:14 PM by Motorrad »
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:56 PM »
Motorrad you got yours legal in California? I didn't think that was possible anymore... How long ago did you get it through?

within a year...  :-D :-D    anything is posible....   

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »

now for power..

Ok a drunk reply. :lol:

I live in NV. i have found i need two mirrors, a horn, working tail/brake and headlights. Plus a turn signal function. I was wondering if this http://bat-pac.com/index.htm would negate needing a high output stator like baja designs recomended. They said I need a ricky stator to make the full kit work.

I just want to ride this bike in town and enjoy stop light beatings of anything on the road. Does street riding take a toll on tranny gears? I dont plan on long trips, like I mention I just wanna ride in town and have fun.

If your hard on them yes...  other wise no..     if yoru worried get a dampened rear hub...

I heard nevada shut it down pretty hard..   but If I got a plate here in cali... anything is possible..    but I have 2 years worth of work etc in getting mine...

Ricky stator is 20 min from my house...   they cant do much with the stock K5 ignition... trust me I looked into it... only way out religable is MZB...

I am currently running mine on batt only..    sure its fine..   I get about an hour out of a charge... but anything over that... and I have no brake lights, etc... and am now in "get pulled over, and plate revoked" territory...     if you go into the work it takes to get a plate... do yourself a favor and get a RELIGABLE charging system..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 04:15:33 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »
I want a plated 500 bad. But I don't want to go through all the trouble then just have the DMV say no way....
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »
THought I saw a Ricky Stator 150 watt stator...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:39:14 AM by martinfan30 »
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:48:22 AM »
My expierience with the DMV is finding the right clerk. They can do about what they want & just like anybody if it's a pita theyd rather send you away than deal with it. Also I send my wife to do the paper work, cause I tend to piss people off, & she's just dynamic. My point being is if you do get it all done & the clerks a jerk try another. It may mean coming back when that ones out to lunch. My wifes gotten me a few lost titles   :-D
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline weymouth399

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 03:07:19 AM »
My expierience with the DMV is finding the right clerk. They can do about what they want & just like anybody if it's a pita theyd rather send you away than deal with it. Also I send my wife to do the paper work, cause I tend to piss people off, & she's just dynamic. My point being is if you do get it all done & the clerks a jerk try another. It may mean coming back when that ones out to lunch. My wifes gotten me a few lost titles   :-D

That's the truest statement in this tread. My wife is the same way, she can get things done that I can't. (but don't get her mad :evil:)
In Maine it's alot easier than other states but they are changing things. I just got my Maine title back for my KLX450, we will see how she does at the dmv.
I would rather street reg, than atv plate the bike so I can go out of state with 1 reg.
If I ride my ice bike in NH I am suppose to register it NH. That's BS.

My Baga kit is still in the box, when I saw the wiring conn's, and that stupid rear fender extension I put it right back in the box. I will try the old school enduro kit way first . And use the parts I need from Baga kit to finish up.

Bob W
93 KX500 ice bike for sale
00 KX 500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt
04 Kx 500 ice bike
08 KLX 450 on/off
72CT90x2 for sale
76LB80Chappy
86FJ1200
89FJ1200

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
There are a couple of the larger dealers trying to get a converted bike through to plated here in Washington with the new rules, but I have not heard the outcome yet. ALL converted bikes now have to go through an inspection with a completed checklist from a Dealer. Not sure if they need to be authorized or not. Not sure if I will make the effort. Thought about finding a worn out same make/same year enduro and welding the numbers onto another bike, but not sure how that would work out either. No different then an engine swap? Maybe?
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...