Author Topic: CPI Pipe Fitment  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Good

• Yo.
CPI Pipe Fitment
« on: January 19, 2012, 05:15:38 AM »
So I'm really interested in the CPI sand pipe they have listed for CR500. I plan to sell off the Zip Ty style FMF Gnarly I currently have and either buy the Pro Circuit Platinum 2 that Stewart said made 3hp more than anything else at 7kRPM or get one of these CPI units. I have a couple questions about it.

Understanding the two motors are different, how would the pipe need to be modded to achieve top performance on the KX500?

Who here on KXRiders has the knowledge, ability, and want to to get this pipe physically mounted to the KX?

If the pipe could be fitted/mounted under my lowboy tank, that would be best.

What do you all think?

Motorrad

Re: CPI Pipe Fitment
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:30:38 AM »
Few quick thoughts (typing on my phone)

1. What don't you like about your lowboy pipe?   The FMF lowboy is same as desert pipe..  Very close to the plat 2 in power..
2. I think it would be cool if someone stepped up to make a pipe to fit with the zipty tank..  I get tons of PM's asking about my setup..  We can still get tanks.. Pipe is the problem

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:12 AM »
The welding on the pipe is so so. looks kinda rough, if you had it chromed I'm sure that would smooth it all out & make it sweet. Mounting it should be pretty easy i would think, just change the cylinder flange  & probably one split right in the center , think front tire center, & clock it a little to get it up  to the existing exhaust out. Might need a stinger cut here too to get it pointing out the right way.
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »
I looked into getting the Zip Ty tank/pipe setup a while back (when the pipes were still available) but didn't due to their limited availability. I think it was a good decision in my case because If you are truly going to use your bike, and especially if you're going to race it, why use a pipe that is no longer available? I would hate to race my 500 one weekend and crush my pipe, and then spend lots of time searching for a good used pipe that I need because it fits with my Zip Ty tank.

And for those always trying for the most horsepower, I remember Stewart discussing dyno tests with various pipes, but who has any actual data on the result of any testing? I have yet to see a Zip Ty pipe test results, only hear claims made by Ty Davis that is was the same power as an FMF Gnarly desert pipe. 

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:00:24 AM »
Few quick thoughts (typing on my phone)

1. What don't you like about your lowboy pipe?   The FMF lowboy is same as desert pipe..  Very close to the plat 2 in power..
2. I think it would be cool if someone stepped up to make a pipe to fit with the zipty tank..  I get tons of PM's asking about my setup..  We can still get tanks.. Pipe is the problem
1. Just power hungry is all. and my pipe is bent pretty good in spots and I don't have the ability to fix it.

2. Why don't you jump on this, mod the CPI pipe for me to fit the bike under your lowboy tank.  Then you could offer this service, and have a high rev pipe option for the lowboy tank.  :wink:
The welding on the pipe is so so. looks kinda rough,
I like that rough look.
Thread that should answer some Questions:

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7451.msg57088.html#msg57088

DoldGuy
Thanks DoldGuy, I just don't have the ability right now to do it myself.  I'm hoping someone with a lowboy tank and ability to mod the pipe will be interested in attempting the installation, then maybe offer this service for a small fee to the rest of KX Riders.

I called Shearer Custom Pipes yesterday and he quoted me $685+ and he needs the bike in Hesperia, CA.  The CPI really seems the way to go at this point.

I would SO do this myself if I had the ability... :cry:

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 06:39:58 AM »
$685 ouch  :-o. Take a lil ky with you. I thought the CPI was bad. By rough I mean the welding looks a little inconsistant. RAW pipes do look awesome but this is more in the welding itself. 
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline joko

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »
 I'd be willing to help you modify the CPI pipe to fit your KX500. I have my 97KX500 to use for fit up & function. Give me a call at 860-992-4377.

- Joe
 Fusion One Pipe repair
 www.FusionOneUSA.com

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
I'd be willing to help you modify the CPI pipe to fit your KX500. I have my 97KX500 to use for fit up & function. Give me a call at 860-992-4377.

- Joe
 Fusion One Pipe repair
 www.FusionOneUSA.com
Thanks Joe, I'll be calling you.  If nothing else, maybe you can repair my current pipe.

Offline alward25

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Anyone contact CPI to see if they would do a pipe for a K5?  If not, I just sent them a message to see if they would.  That would be a great answer to get the Zip-Ty tank with a CPI lowboy pipe. 
We will see.......
"Let there be light"

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
Yeah, I did a while back Alex. Mike said he never tried fitting one to a K5 because he didn't have access to one, but he said he wanted to.

Offline alward25

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 04:06:28 AM »
might have to send him my Zip-Ty pipe so I can get a discount on a CPI:)
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »

Im on board for a group buy if any of you are... (Alward25 and Good)

Only questoin would be... who's port times do we have him build it to?  mine or yours?   I vote we set it up to mine...   it will be faster  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:04:14 PM by Motorrad »

Offline alward25

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
But, I don't want mine to overheat and blow head gaskets :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im on board for a group buy if any of you are... (Alward25 and Good)

Only questoin would be... who's port times do we have him build it to?  mine or yours?   I vote we set it up to mine...   it will be faster  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

"Let there be light"

Offline Enginerd

• Big Bore Addict!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »
Has there been any further discussion/action on this deal? I think that one of these pipes optimized for the big KX would rock.  I'd definitely be interested!

I'm on board for a group buy if any of you are... (Alward25 and Good)