Author Topic: has anybody tried ninja650r wheels?  (Read 3468 times)

Offline tribaltalon

has anybody tried ninja650r wheels?
« on: January 05, 2012, 04:51:29 PM »
Just curious if anybody had tried to use these wheels on their KX500.  They look pretty neat, kind of like marchenisi wheels with less spokes and they're 17x3.5 and 17x4.5 so the widths should work decent. 

Offline Pvo

• OlesenMoto
Re: has anybody tried ninja650r wheels?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:28:06 AM »
I've had trouble aligning the sprockets on my build.  The sprocket carrier in the rear is the main problem as the sprocket sits too far out so you'd have to machine most of the face away and fill in the back with weld in order to hold the studs in.  It's not an ideal solution so I've had an offset front sprocket made to cure the problem and will still be machining some material off the carrier.

Motorrad

Re: has anybody tried ninja650r wheels?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:58:56 AM »
I was going to go the sportbike wheel route..  But realized how much work it was going to be...

then one day while searching craigs   found a set of Rad hub, excell wheel  SM setup off a DRZ400 local for CHEAP.  ($300 the set)      with tires...   as the guy crashed the bike (not with these wheels on it), and needed money for hospital bills... NOW, and his buddys were selling everything off..)

I was surprised how LITTLE work it was to make them fit..

One quick pass on the mill on the sproket adaptor plate, to make it thinner (minimal ... was like .050")

and new wheel spacers..  that I just ordered from Rad (wasnt worth dicking with it for $15)

and it all bolted on..

there is a few writups on Supermotojunkie.com on making sportbike wheels fit CR500 and KX500's...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 06:00:39 AM by Motorrad »