Author Topic: Forks swap  (Read 3111 times)

Offline giac76

Forks swap
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:20:52 AM »
Hi to everyone! I have a KX 250 2006, I don't feel really well with the front end...I just have longer arm in the linkage (homemade, same size of pro-circuit), I have a set of RG3 triple clamps with 22 off-set, I but I don't feel good with the front forks,like the front end is too low and steep.I measured that the front fork from a KXF 450 are 15mm longer than mine,now I'm thinking....It would work better and more high? the front end will be better and with more grip also in the corner? Thanks very much for every advice!

Giac
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 06:32:33 AM by giac76 »

Offline Burnt1Dragon

Re: Forks swap
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:07:41 AM »
Hi Giac,
Typically a "lowered" bike handles better in the corners.  This is partly because when the forks are raised up in the tripple clamps, the wheel-base becomes shorter, making it easier to turn.  I think before you "fork out the cash" for new forks, try different springs to suit your weight and ability.  Could be the off-set your running too. Obviously the off-set changes wheel-base, and weight distribution of your bike front to back. So too will the rear link and settings there will definately effect the front end feel.

My suggestion to you is to work with your current equipment to dial it in to the max!  You may also find yourself going back to some of the original parts!  Best of luck!
Mike

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:02:22 AM »
i wouldn't swaps the forks a revalve would do the the job.

The problem with kx 250 05-08 is the head angle is to steep, change it from 26 degree to 26.5 degree, 3mm out at the bottom will do it. Transfer a bike from a tucker and a washer outta, to a bike that steers better then a kxf. its a bit of work to do but i have done this to solve the problem. it requires a pro welder to do this mod. we had this bike for 9 months with this mod and my son does massive jump and there no problems if it's done right, also strengthen this area as well.

Offline giac76

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 06:31:33 AM »
Hi, with the longer linkage arms, less triple clamps off-set and a good tire (Pirelli MT32), in the corner is pretty good, better than stock.

My problem with the front forks doesn't affect much the cornering, but much more the feeling, stability and the driving in the straight line and much more on the downhill,if there are bumps (also not big!). I feel like the front end is too low and soft. I know they need a revalve,because also they are not confortable but go down to soft and the rebound is very very fast! KXDINO, you helped me a lot last winter, you gave me a lot of suggest and I'm still using the valving you gave me! I added oil,there isn't bottoming.
I think I need to change internal parts like rebound holder,o'ring for seal the inner cartridge,because I think everything is worm.

It's for that I'm thinking in this swap, instead of spend money in my fork (replacing internal parts + revalve) maybe I can try to find a good set of KXF 450 fork, 15 mm longer, and if it doesn't work well for the handling and cornering I can use that low in the triple clamps ( very close to the hanclebar), in this way I have the same stock lenght.
I hope to not bother you!  Thanks a lot for the attenction!

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 09:28:15 AM »
yes recondition forks than start to change setting .one thing to check also is spring rate for your weight .if rebound is to fast try heavier oil  .out of all mods on this model the frame did the most.at the moment im checking out fuel injection from high gain performance.look  at the 2 strokes sites.if you want to test my bike your quite welcome.holiday maybe/.its no bother .i love improving kx;s this site has been great thanks fellas.