Author Topic: Starting Problem?  (Read 3883 times)

Woody223

Starting Problem?
« on: August 10, 2004, 02:14:37 PM »
My bike a 1990 has always been a 1 to 2 kick starter. I rebuilt the motor last summer and it has been running like a dream since until I fixed something that wasn't broken.

There has always been an exhaust leak around the pipe where it some out of the head and I was waiting until I fixed the dents in the pipe to fix it. Well I fixed the pipe put new o-rings on the pipe and sealed it with permatex.  While I had it apart I figured that I would rejet the bike to the warmer weather that we are having where I live and did. And now it will not start. It is flooded and my leg started to hurt not to mention the huge knot on my shin, so I figured I'd ask the pros.

Below are what my jetting and other specs are.
Needle - N82M in the 2nd notch, same as before
Main - 162 went down from 168
Pilot - 55, same as before
Air Screw - 2 turns out, tried 1 1/2 to 2 1/2, 2 turns was starting point
Fresh 92 octane with maxima mixed 40 to 1
Plug B8EG - do not know gap off hand, slightly old but it was running fine before. Don't have spare to replace.
Float set at recommended heigth
Timing checked and OK
Boyesen Reed Cage
Pro Circuit Pipe - Unknow came with bike.

I just do not know what I did, the only major change was really sealing the exhaust pipe at the head.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Woody223

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Starting Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 03:10:46 PM »
Start by replacing the plug. You should be able to get one through any dealer for about $3 or maybe just get a b8es from any parts story (napa, advanced auto, pep boys, ect.) for about a buck and a half. Let us know, try that first, or just pull off the plug cap and see if it sparks against the head, but becareful, it won't feel nice to have that spark grab ya.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Starting Problem?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 03:19:31 PM »
Maybe your float is sticking close? Is gas in the carb? Are you sure your coil and cdi wires are hooked? Do they have corrosion?

Big one! Is the GAS fresh? Start by checking your connections, compression, and check for spark. Once you are done that, replace the fuel (FRESH) and a new plug. Try.

There are only a few things needed to run a bike, that's compression, fuel, and spark.

Woody223

Gowen, Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 04:20:29 PM »
I already went through the electrical system and checked for spark and corrosion. Nice fairly fat blue spark. I pulled the carb off and checked float heigth and to make sure it was free, and it is new gas that I purchased today.

Tomorrow I am going to pull the carb apart and put my old main jet a 168 and give it a try and if that does not work, I will try a new plug. The only reason I have not done that yet is that I live about 60 miles from the nearest town and I was not going to town tonight I'll get a knew plug sometime this week and try it.

Thanks, Woody223

Folke

Starting Problem?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 03:50:29 AM »
Lay down the bike before you kick, you will fill the carb.with gas, maybe its emty before (the temp.out will maybe empting your carb. when you dont use your bike.

mikesmith

Starting Problem?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 06:36:39 AM »
If you have spark,try starting it and if it doesnt start pull the plug to see if its wet.If its to wet/oily there wont be spark its wet fouled.If theres slightly wet plug then maybe a ring stuck or broke and you dont have enough compression,and forget the main jet its the pilot jet and air screw you need to worry about.Whens the last time you started it?

Woody223

Thanks All.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 01:30:50 PM »
I guess my old plug finally gave up the ghost. I finally got to town and picked up a new plug and viola', she started on the first kick.

Thanks to all you guys that replied.

Woody223

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Thanks All.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 01:39:23 PM »
Quote from: Woody223
I guess my old plug finally gave up the ghost. I finally got to town and picked up a new plug and viola', she started on the first kick.

Thanks to all you guys that replied.

Woody223

:drunk:

mikesmith

Starting Problem?
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 06:15:22 AM »
Good to hear it was just the plug,makes it easier if you start with the simple things first,like a plug!

Woody223

Sure is.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 08:36:22 AM »
I went throught he whole bike from the electrical to doing a compression check. I just couldn't believe it was the plug when it was running 2 days before but it was.

I guess I need to, not be such a hypo.

Woody223 :shock: