Author Topic: case split with water pump  (Read 3755 times)

Offline chrisxj

case split with water pump
« on: August 31, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »
 Well i ran the b1 today a a bit wanted to ride it some before i rebuilt so i could tell a difference with when its done but ran into another problem that i hope is just a bad clutch. when im goin through the feild by my house im bangin gears and at about 3/4 throttle in 4th gear it it just felas like it kicks out of gear and scares the s**t out of me im gonna put a new clutch in it to see if that fixes it if it dont im gonna have to split the cases and look at the dogs on the gears and se if they are worn. Anyways is the water pump like my Zilla were i can just take the clutch cover and leave the pump housing on or will i have to take apart the water pump? sorry about the long post but i have to get it out and i dont know how to shortin it. Poor english skills i guess
1989 zuki 500 zilla mx ported DR.Q pipe undercut gears and 41.5mm mikuni

85/86 KX500 death trap (restore)maybe

1986 honda XL600r all stock and red white and blue

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: case split with water pump
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
The pump is attached to the clutch cover so you don't have to pull that apart. If it's kicking out of gear there are a couple causes. Could be the clips that hold the gear in place on the shaft, could be the gear/s itself, or it could be the shift forks. If the clutch is bad it will slip in any gear not just certain ones.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline chrisxj

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »
   Ok sweet i hate doin water pumps. But crap i dont want to split that case. How hard they? did my zilla numerous times but that compact case seems like it can be tricky

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
It's not to difficult. I think it takes me longer to put them back together than it does to take them apart lol. It's been 12 years since I've worked on a zilla so I don't remember the water pump very well. The K5 pump is pretty easy to work on though. Patience is key. Any issues there are enough of us that have split cases multiple times and can walk you through the process. You can always pm me and I'll try to explain in detail the best I can.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »
sounds like rounded gear dogs and slots. thats what happened to me before my rebuild
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:07 PM »
check your dogs and shift forks as said,change all the circlips, take plenty of photos at each stage if its your first time(insert your own virgin joke,its been a long night, normal service will resume shortly)should you have problems getting parts the box is identical thru to 87 model except i think second on the 85 model is slightly lower, deffo need a clymer manual, cheap on ebay.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline chrisxj

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:49 PM »
  Yea thats what i figured it was kwakman thats what wears out on my zilla about every 3 years them dam dogs caused me alot of trouble and time with multiple case splits untill i figured out what causing my tranny to give way i was able to weld on them a little bit and reshaped them if i cant find parts for this year thats what i will have to try and do. Also what kind of rings do i need for the nikisilled bore i allways had sleeved motors

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 05:00:08 AM »
use kwak rings for a kwak piston etc, you can get trannys on the 'bay,and they come up on here under ''for sale'' section.get a clymer to check ratios(havent got mine here or I'd have done it) I'm sure that 2nd on the 85 is the only difference (excluding 87 clutch) in the tranny parts between 83 and 87.hth.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline chrisxj

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »
  Thank you gentlemen once i buy all the parts i need so i know i have evrything i will start the restore on the bike and motor and pics will follow