Author Topic: More questions?  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Fireypoop

More questions?
« on: August 21, 2011, 07:09:20 PM »
So I finally took my kx500 for a 5 hour ride, I have not been on a bike for about 10 years. This machine has a flywheel weight, gnarly pipe, fmf spark arrestor and v3 reeds and had a snap I could not imagine. Let's just say I feel like someone beat me with a pipe. It is not a gental machine but since it's the first ride I have realized....

1: 3rd gear does not grab (well it will for a second and then any throttle it kicks out). I'm going to have to split the case and was wondering what else I should replace while I was in there?

2: On that ride I dumped it throttle side down and the front cylinder for the brakes was leaking. Found the leak and repaired it but would not firm up the front brakes any way I bleed them, have you encountered this?

3: The kick starter must have vibrated while riding and when I was riding I do remember my right food having to leave the peg to stabilize and the back of my knee took the impact that left me with a huge bruise, how can I stiffen up the kick starter to stop it from vibrating out so my leg can heal?

4: Tires? I had ALOT of tread left but after my ride in the mountains it's pretty much bald. Should I get a hard rubber for the mountains?

Thank you fellow KX500 riders, this bike is not for the faint of heart. And I LOVE it.

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: More questions?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:09:47 AM »
So I finally took my kx500 for a 5 hour ride, I have not been on a bike for about 10 years. This machine has a flywheel weight, gnarly pipe, fmf spark arrestor and v3 reeds and had a snap I could not imagine. Let's just say I feel like someone beat me with a pipe. It is not a gental machine but since it's the first ride I have realized....

1: 3rd gear does not grab (well it will for a second and then any throttle it kicks out). I'm going to have to split the case and was wondering what else I should replace while I was in there?

2: On that ride I dumped it throttle side down and the front cylinder for the brakes was leaking. Found the leak and repaired it but would not firm up the front brakes any way I bleed them, have you encountered this?

3: The kick starter must have vibrated while riding and when I was riding I do remember my right food having to leave the peg to stabilize and the back of my knee took the impact that left me with a huge bruise, how can I stiffen up the kick starter to stop it from vibrating out so my leg can heal?

4: Tires? I had ALOT of tread left but after my ride in the mountains it's pretty much bald. Should I get a hard rubber for the mountains?

Thank you fellow KX500 riders, this bike is not for the faint of heart. And I LOVE it.

1) you have a trashed shift fork. The cases need to be split.

2) Just keep bleeding, you will eventually get a firm lever. Stubborn air is sometimes very hard to dislodge in KX front brakes.

3) The K/S pivot is worn out. Replace the kick lever before you snap your ankle !!

4)  Many of us have excellent results with the Maxxis desert IT  AWESOME tough tire over a wide range  of terrain.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »
#3  Have you tightened the allen head bolt on the inside of lever.  sometimes they vibrate out and cause it to be loose. or the spring behind it could be shot.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:15:53 AM by RoostDaddy »
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
On the brakes I found that squeezing the calipers open with a clamp helps a ton when bleeding them.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »

Mine did this same thing. I bought new o-rings, spring, and ball. Haven't had an issue since. I almost bought a whole new kick assembly. Glad I looked into it first as it was hella cheaper to just get a couple small parts. Here is the link to the kick assembly on bike bandit. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1998-kawasaki-kx500-kx500e10-us/o/m3863#sch67828

(Quantity) - Description Part #
(1)             600
(1)             92081
(2)             92055
(1)             92022
(1)             400

Hope this helps.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.