Author Topic: Flat tire  (Read 1424 times)

Offline littlewing78

Flat tire
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
A good ride got cut short tonight because of a flat.  Usually I just get a new tube.  I was wondering though how good a patch would hold up.  Any one have any luck with that? Thanks.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Flat tire
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »

Countless!
I couldn't count how many patches we put on mine &  the neighborhood kids bikes (50's to 225's)
 and several on my 500's.  (Now mind you I wasn't running 100mph!).
            Then I got a Terra Flex with a Moose X-tra Heavy tube for the CR and that was the last flat I had on the CR before I sold it.   Got an extra-heavy tube on the KX last tire change and have been good there also.

If you decide to give it a whirl,...
  Make sure you get the area to be patched really clean.  Rough it up with a Sandpaper, Dremmel with a drum sander or scotchbrite type wheel  whatever.  The Idea is to give the area some "tooth".  Then get some Alcohol or Acetone and wipe it down. Let it dry and your ready for the glue.

Sounds like a pain in the butt however it only takes a minute or two.  Be generous with the glue let it set-up a minute or two. find something to roll the air out of the patch after you stick it on.   I have a small wd40 can that works well.
    I don't light the glue in the summer, but if it's like 40 outside light the glue to warm up the area. 
(you don't want to burn it all off or catch the bloody place on Fire!)

I always cut the patches so there are no square edges.     Always Check the patch for leaks before you put it back on the tire.

Something I also do is after you get the tube in the tire and are gonna work the tire on the rim. put a few lbs of air in
   the tube to help keep the tube from getting pinched between your tire and rim.  You don't want to be fighting yourself so just enough to get it to hold some shape.

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline littlewing78

Re: Flat tire
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
Thanks Friar.  I think I'll give it a try.