Author Topic: brake lever fix?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline littlewing78

brake lever fix?
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:10 PM »
My rear brake lever has a bend in it and it rubs on the case.  I am afraid if I try to bend it back it will just snap.  Any suggestions.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: brake lever fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
Put it in a vice, heat it up, and bend it back.
If you break it, buy a nice used one.....  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
Hey LilWing,
 You are right, there's a pretty good chance it will break.. :|
   I take the items off the bike before attempting to straighten them.  Use a small hammer and only as much striking pressure as it takes and go slowly.   Test fit and repeat until the brake no longer rubs. 
  If you have a small propane or mapp torch it will help if you warm up the piece before attempting to bend it.
You only want to get it about 200 deg.     2500 and it will melt! 
 If you have an old pie tin, or the like, clean off the grease from the pivot mount and put it in the oven at 200 for 15min.
  Then hammer the bend out. Still have to take it easy, but the aluminum will be softer.

There is a member here who cut a small piece of diamond plate and epoxied it to the case where the brake arm would rub now and again. 
   It looked pretty good polished up, and when it gets too worn you just cut another piece and replace it.   Good Luck,
  Tuck\o/

OOps, Blaster and I were typing at the same time.  Great minds think alike! :lol:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:46:11 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
My rear brake lever has a bend in it and it rubs on the case.  I am afraid if I try to bend it back it will just snap.  Any suggestions.

If you bend a control lever or brake /shift lever you get ONE chance to attempt to ben it back into position. You will need heat. Heat the bend and in one complete steady motion bend the lever back into position. Do NOT try to bend a second time, the lever will  snap off. Keep in mind once aluminum is put through a heat cycle it becomes brittle and can break off easily if impacted again.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
Worked out perfect.  Thanks for the help.