Author Topic: Alternative forged kx5 pistons  (Read 2119 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Alternative forged kx5 pistons
« on: May 06, 2011, 12:59:21 AM »
had a quick google as i havent bought a piston and if buying wiseco means you gotta mess about with it to take it to the standard they were 2 yrs ago, then they don't really want my money do they?
anyway, the ones i came across were wossner, apico, and a company in uk who can apparently do a forged kx5 piston up to 95mm, or 610cc on standard stroke.obviously, this would entail massive cylinder works to put port timing an intersection angle back to what it was and cases machining i imagine, so realistically, that leaves the first two. many of you will have had experience with the athena/apico stuff, so shout up.the wossner site states forged pistons of 4032 grade ally, and they all come with a polished crown for improved heat reflection (theyre just copying your thread motorrad :-D) and if german engineering is still what it once was, that looks like the one for me.some sites for you to look at;
jbsracingpage.co.uk       95mm beastie
pinsonaultracing             us athena
wossneronline                 forged german offerings

enjoy.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Alternative forged kx5 pistons
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:59:12 AM »
Why not tried and true reliable OEM Kawasaki ? I've been using them for the past 25 years not a single top end failure due to lack of piston strength or quality.....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:40:30 AM »
Athena is wossner, they just sell them under their own branding in the US.

I personally have no issue running a cast stock piston, especially in a plated bore. The only solid argument I would give for the forged is if you are cutting the window on the intake side.

The CR500 guys hate the cast pistons due them running them to long on a worn out iron bore, which will also cause cracking in a forged eventually.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:51:58 AM »

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:16:38 AM »
A little birdy tells me wossner will do custom order batches of pistons (have to order 4)

Lots of things I'd like
Longer exauhst skirt than wiseco is one

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 11:40:13 PM »
only 4? awesome.means we could have some 86 spec domed jobbies knocked up. 8.4:1 comp ratio anybody?
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....