Author Topic: Here's the story!  (Read 10133 times)

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
Re: Here's the story!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »
I posted about this a while back. The water pump spur gear broke off the crankshaft. I thought that the crank could be repaired by just replacing the spur gear. In addition to the spur gear being broke off I discovered the main bearing was shot on the same side and it really did some damage to the crank. By the time I would have sent the crank off for repair it was about the same costs as buying a new one! I'm convinced that the bad main bearing is what caused the spur gear to break off. Collateral damage was some scoring on the cylinder and piston from overheating. I had a spare new piston and cylinder and bought a new crank. All this because of a bad bearing! Engine had probably less than 120 hours on it

The engine is rebuilt now and back in the frame! Thought I'd go through the rear chassis and found some problems there too but have been fixed. Still waiting on a few parts. Can't wait to get the beast running again and thinking about maybe showing up for the next Kalifornia run!

Would be nice if you could make it on 18 of may kxpegger it looks like this may be a nice weekend.

Offline brooksie

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:26 PM »
I was going to ask you about that.
I assume you replaced everything just to be safe?  :-)

why would you put a bearing back in... that you massivly axial loaded from splitting cases      (our main bearings ARE NOT designed to be axial loaded)    reason Im such a stickler on the freeze heat method, vs the "pull em in" motion pro tool method..

Amen to that! My cases were extremely tight to split. But they went together like a dream using freeze/heat.

It's usually the primary side that wears the most, it's getting most of the stick. We used to get them pulling into the cases on the Bultaco Persangs. Ended up line boring the cases, using a liner and twin row bearing.

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Went through the entire rear suspension! Found some issues! Replaced a few bearings and seals. Would have made a little more progress but some of the parts I needed went back-order. Getting close!

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:55:32 PM by kxpegger »
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline jBernard

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »
man that engine looks brand new!
what kind of blasting did you do to it for that finish, glass bead, soda, ect?
'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 02:45:27 AM »
man that engine looks brand new!
what kind of blasting did you do to it for that finish, glass bead, soda, ect?

The cylinder is brand new. The rest got the Arm & Hammer baking soda treatment at 90 PSI. Won't cause any damage on soft parts either so long as you don't stay on it too long and keep it moving.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F