Author Topic: motor  (Read 5004 times)

Offline meangreen

• My old 89 KX250
Re: motor
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 05:57:47 PM »
Yup, that is an 89 - I have one just like it in the garage.  The caliper is a dual piston and has a non-floating caliper - which indicates 89 or 90.  If you are curious about the rest, the tenth digit of the VIN (which is stamped on the steering tube) should be "K" for a 1989.

MG
You know you are having fun when you have dirt on your teeth!

Offline meangreen

• My old 89 KX250
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 05:58:42 PM »
Meant non-floating disc. 

MG
You know you are having fun when you have dirt on your teeth!

Offline russ

• my 1989 k5
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:24 PM »
cool thank you very much for the info is that a better year
bikes

1989 kx500

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
89 is a good year. About the only thing you have to watch for is ignition replacement. Early 89 had a smaller diameter flywheel as did the previous years. Towards the end of 89 production they changed to a larger and heavier flywheel to smooth out the power delivery. The ignition was revamped to accommodate the larger diameter flywheel but I believe the parts are the same minus the stator plate. Nice part about having an 89 is parts are easily found as 89-04 barely changed engine wise. Only thing I can think of is in 95 the shifter shaft knurled part that the shifter attaches to wasn't necked down anymore to prevent breakage. Other than that the only real upgrades the K5 got was in the suspension and graphics. Frames were the same from 88-04. If you have any questions or need any tech help let me know.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.