Author Topic: Transmission Help Please!  (Read 3054 times)

Offline mustangfury

Transmission Help Please!
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:36:10 AM »
I was riding all day today and on the last run me and my buddy went on, I shifted into 2nd and it took off then went into like a false neutral. I shifted it down to 1st as I approached the turn, and it took off thru the turn and a little further, then did the same thing. I clicked it back into 1st after rolling to a stop and it did the same thing.

I know it is not the clutch. If it was I think I would have noticed slipping, and it still grabs fine on the start, just pops out of gear.

Riding conditions: scattered downpours, 95% humidity, 75 degrees, extremely muddy and fun!

I was riding it pretty hard in mostly 1st and 2nd gear. Rode for about 5 hours before it goofed.

The only thing I could think of was broken or bent shift forks. What do you guys think it could be (before I split the cases to look)?

Thanks
1993 KX 125

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: Transmission Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:28:43 PM »
Hey Stang,
  Someone else just posted the same problem today.
Sorry to hear about this as they are usually simple things to repair or replace, unfortunately they are in the heart of the crankcase...Let me know if I can help with the measurements if you don't have a manual.My Clymer is '82-'91
125-250 and a serv manual for a  125-250 m-1 and m-2 (2000 I think) .
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline mustangfury

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »
I have a clymer for it and have had it apart before, so I should be somewhat experienced with the process. Where is the other post? I searched for similar ones and looked through the different topics but didn't see one.

So, you think it is most likely something internal, and I should go ahead and pull the motor and get the cases split to see what's broken or worn too far?

Thanks for the help tuck!

1993 KX 125

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »
May as well drain the tranny fluid and coolant.  it will have to be drained anyhow.   If  after you remove the clutch you find anything suspicious you can address it.  If not...you can continue with pulling the engine.
     The thread says "gear slipping", however after you read the post the situation sounds the same..  http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,9638.msg76047.html
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline mustangfury

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
Ok. Cool. Hopefully I have a similar situation that doesn't require splitting the cases. I'll probably look into it thursday.

Thanks again!
1993 KX 125

Offline mustangfury

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:54:19 AM »
Think I figured it out! Mine did not have anything broken. The bolt that holds the shifting cam on the shift drum came loose and backed out enough so the wheel/tension arm that holds it in gear slipped behind it. I did a bottom end rebuild not too long ago, so it was probably from that. I put a little lock tight on it this time, because I know I torqued it to spec. Time to put it back together and take it for a test run to make sure that is all it was.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:48:59 AM by mustangfury »
1993 KX 125