Author Topic: Flywheel weights  (Read 2924 times)

ruputa

Flywheel weights
« on: May 15, 2004, 05:22:00 AM »
Looks like several of you use flywheel weights. I do not have any experience with weights. Is the power band a lot smoother ? How is the engine performance changed?  is there a manufacturer recommended? And lastly, has anyone made there own flywheel weights?
Thanks,
Jeff

Twist-a-grip

Flywheel weights
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 01:44:24 PM »
I have a Steahly 14oz. on mine.  The power is still there.  It just slows down the delivery.  The ability to operate the bike at lower thottle positions with control and less chance of stalling I think are the features I like best.  Combined with gearing it really makes the tight nasties almost effortless.  As for easier starting I can't comment because my bike has always started easy.  Installation is a snap.  With this brand you can remove it and replace the stock nut in <30 min. if you want.
John

kawdude

Flywheel weights
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 03:43:50 PM »
Steahly 14oz.  Makes the bike much smoother with less stalling.  It does help the starting because of the extra inertia.  It's well worth the money.  If you don't like it sell it on ebay for what you paid.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Flywheel weights
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 04:07:52 PM »
Take one for a ride before you buy. I absolutley hated the power delivery after I put that thing on, I ended up giving my Steahly away.

ruputa

Flywheel weights
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 11:48:15 PM »
Thanks a lot for your input guys. I think I will try one out and see if it helps in woods riding. I know what you mean Paul, kinda like putting a lease on a beast!
Jeff

toddwunsch

Flywheel weights
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 10:18:48 AM »
Same here.  I was dissapointed in the power delivery after I put on my 14 oz. weight.  I just cranked up the idle a little to help with stalling and gave away the weight.

Rick

Flywheel weights
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 03:22:44 AM »
I really like th 14 oz weight in the tree where you rarely get out of third gear.  Also helps in the tight desert races.  However, if you race/ride a lot of wide open terrain, you might not like the weight.  However, as noted in an earlier post, removing and installing the weight is a snap.

Rick

ruputa

Flywheel weights
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 09:42:32 AM »
Thanks Rick and Todd, I really appreciate your knowledge!!