Author Topic: Reeds?  (Read 5371 times)

Saner

Reeds?
« on: November 29, 2005, 02:58:57 AM »
If I change the stock reeds to more aggressive reeds (Boysen Pro Series), is there anything else I have to change? ie:carb adjustments etc.  Also is there a noticable difference over stock?  What are the advantages, and most importantly what are the disadvantages of changing from stock? ie:reliablility.

Thanks!

~SaneR~
KX100

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

RE: Reeds?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:25:18 AM »
with most aftermarket reeds you should feel more throttle response.the type of reed(carbon fiber)as well as thickness will make some difference.the boysen is a good all around choice.good midrange.for custom sizes i use tdr or mossbarger.by the way tdr makes them for other mfgs.as with any changes you should check jetting.

Saner

RE: Reeds?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 01:18:41 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'm going to look more into this.

Offline machine

Reeds?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 08:35:43 AM »
Saner;  Let us know what you find out!
my wife bought me a set last X-Mas, and I still haven't put them in!!!! :roll:

Saner

Reeds?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 02:00:48 AM »
I definitely will, machine.  XMas is coming up soon so I want to learn more about those questions I have, before my wife springs for them.

Offline alan

• Administrator
Reeds?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 10:21:56 AM »
No big deal, but this topic should be in the mods section! The general section is for off beat and BS stuff.

Alan  :wink:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Saner

Reeds?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 12:32:38 AM »
Oops, sorry.

Offline Spider

Reeds?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 03:26:17 AM »
Hey Saner,
If you try a search for reeds in the mods section you will probably get plenty of info that way. I don't know how much will apply to your size bike, but it's a "Quick & Easy" way to get needed info in a hurry. It's what I use when I need some info.

2cents
Hope it helps
Dale

By the way I use Vforce 2 and a Moose spacer.  8)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Reeds?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 05:11:21 AM »
Quote from: Saner
If I change the stock reeds to more aggressive reeds (Boysen Pro Series), is there anything else I have to change? ie:carb adjustments etc.  Also is there a noticable difference over stock?  What are the advantages, and most importantly what are the disadvantages of changing from stock? ie:reliablility.

Thanks!

~SaneR~
KX100

SaneR,  they are worth the weight in gold. Especially in your KX100. I personally put them in my two (at one point) CR125s, CR250s, and CR80s. Also including two KDX200s.. Oh yeah, and not to forget, they were my first choice when getting my KX500, which I would still be using, but I now use the Rad Valve. They start easier, last longer, and have more low-end through top-end. Especially the topend.  You do usally have to do minor main-jet changes. But they are usally documented and/or call Boyesen and they give you good information on that part.

Saner

RE: Re: Reeds?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 01:31:48 AM »
Thanks gowen!  So far I've gathered that the upgrade is mostly benefits.