Author Topic: Tranny shift issues  (Read 2250 times)

Offline kxraptor

Tranny shift issues
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:08:48 PM »
My partner has a '01kx500 that he purchased used .The trans will not upshift at any rpm above idle.Downshift is fine.While upshifting alot more than normal effort is needed on the shift lever.We have had the bike in a reptuable shop and they have dis-assembled and inspected the trans and clutch .Everything was found to be straight with  no binding or wear on any gears,shafts or shift components.The only thing we can figure is possibly some mis-aligned cases.Possibly from the 1st owner damaging a case and replacing just the damaged half.Does this sound possible?Any other ideas are welcomed.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Tranny shift issues
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:51:08 AM »
No idea really, especially since its been apart and back together and still doing it. Have you had the clutch cover off and watched everything operating, while shifting it. On a stand may be the way to look at it so you can roll the wheel. I'm certain, I am just tossing out ideas that you have done, and no insult to intelligence intended, just hoping a fresh view inspires a solution. Its wierd how a new perspective can solve a riddle like this sometimes.

Offline kxraptor

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:14:43 AM »
No we havent done that,,,I havent split cases personally,but had a very reputable bike mechanic do it.He did replace some items,,,shift forks and a gear or 2 that he felt were questionable.But to no avail.Almost everything on the clutch side has been replaced ,so I dont think its problem is there.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:24:05 AM »
I have had a few tranny problems. Not the same symptoms, but when I had my yz125 stuck in gear, and another time had my kx250 stuck in neutral, I was able to see the issue while the cover was off. Its possible to have something assembled wrong just like it was before, if your mechanic is a visual learner and just put things back as he found them.
  Does it shift from neutral once and then hard to shift? There is a flat metal slider-deal in there that actually rotates the drum. if that deal doesn't return properly it causes issues. Also, if the drum makes an incomplete rotation, the next shift hits a corner of the drum, ect. ... that could lead you to what it's not, for sure. Someone will need to visually inspect the operation, to get to the bottom of it. Hope you didn't pay much to get it back in the same condition...

Offline livenlife699

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:44:54 AM »
Could be a bad shift fork, The engine I just had built had all 3 shift forks bent and a bad 3rd gear which I replaced it all and is perfect now...Split the cases and pull the tranny theres not much to them.

Offline mwalker04

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:05:45 AM »
Wait a minute... So you paid a mechanic to fix this and he didn't fix it? I think the solution is to take your bike to him and either get your money back or have him fix it FREE.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:33:12 AM by mwalker04 »

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »
im not sure
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline kxraptor

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
No fixxy---no chargey

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »
what about the bearing behind the clutch basket in the case ? They don't shift right when this bearing is bad . Have also had a problem where that bearing is good but the area around it is worn out and the bearing "walks" in the case . A good machinist can fix this with some shim stock . Also the K5 has matched cases so if the former owner mixed and matched cases that may be the problem, but I know some of the guys I race with have done this with no problems? CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline livenlife699

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
Wait a minute... So you paid a mechanic to fix this and he didn't fix it? I think the solution is to take your bike to him and either get your money back or have him fix it FREE.

No I was already aware of the issues as my mechanic let me know what was wrong I orderedthe parts and was good to go. I bought the motor from a guy who messed it up trying to rebuild it himself so I cleaned up his mess and now its got all the goodies!

Offline Rd

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
You have probably already checked, but make sure the shifter is engaging the the shift drum properly and doing its thing.

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:16:30 PM »
all the kx5, i've ridden are good down shifter, but up shifter under load, in soft sand can be tough and abit notchy, i put a kx 250 06 gear shift lever on it as it 5 mm longer, but the biggest improvement come from polishing everything, 10% better shifting i course you must start of with a good gear box and try different gearbox oil makes a difference to