Author Topic: Front Wheel Bearing Removal technique please. '96 KX500  (Read 3130 times)

Offline TheGDog

Front Wheel Bearing Removal technique please. '96 KX500
« on: October 16, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »
After long hiatus, today I broke down and bought an Impact Wrench so I could finally take apart the two halves of the axle...

After searching I found some threads that spoke about wheel bearings and removal.  However I need to ask more specific questions.

Cam wrote the following :

"I use a long 20" x 3/8" diam steel rod for a punch. They come out easy. Circlips hold in one side. Cam."

I did not see a circlip on either side.  Lemme know if this is an issue. I'm assuming this is fine since I've been riding the bike up until now.

Today I tried using a large Impact socket as a sort of punch on the non-rotor side of the hub.  I took a number of swacks at it with a 16oz Rubber Mallot.  As far as I can tell all it did was manage to slightly crush the top washer/race down onto the ball bearings of that particular bearing.

Regarding using the 3/8" punch... is there a certain side I need to punch from?  I assume I use the punch hitting the bearing in a circular fashion all around its rim... and that it'll eventually push the OTHER bearing out of the hub.  Is this the correct assumption?
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline ShadeTreeFab

Re: Front Wheel Bearing Removal technique please. '96 KX500
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:09:17 PM »
lay wheel down on a stable work area, insert punch through top to back side off bottom bearing(between bearing and COLLAR)
tap bottom bearing out the bottom. the hub has a shoulder the bearing sets against. they have to come from the inside out.
i like to use a roll pin punch.

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »
I'm confused.  After reading your post it sounds like with  punch I should be able to just reach down thru the center and eventually be able to have the punch come to rest upon the back-side of the opposite sides bearing.  This DOES NOT seem to be the case.  Perhaps I'll try to take more pictures down thru the center.

In between the bearings there is a steel tube the axle goes thru.  This steel tube meets flush with the bottom of both bearings and this steel tubes inner diameter MATCHES the inner diameter hole of the bearings on both sides.

I'll go inspect again and take come pics.

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »
the steal tube will move just a hair if you tap it side ways. it should be just enough to get a flat punch on the back side,
some time i have to take a small chisel in side ways from bearing side to start a small gap. when you get one of the bearings out
the steal tube(collar) will fall right out. so the second one will be real easy.

Offline serafin

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
There is a aluminum spacer inside the hub that the bearings butt up against.  In addition the hub also has 3 nubs on the non disc side of the hub that help center the spacer.  You want to remove the bearing on the disc side first.  What you have to do is with a punch, rod, or what ever (I use a ratty old flat blade screwdriver) you need to push the spacer down so that you can use the inner race of the bearing as a lip to which you can punch against.  You  will probably mar the spacer some but it can be cleaned up with a file to remove the burs. I plan on notching the spacer to make the next removal easier.  Hope this helps.

Serafin

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I'm always trying to be careful not to break/scratch/gouge/mar/bend things... I get nervous when I have to start using my strength on stuff.  I've learned thru the years that most of the time... if it's taking more effort than it seems like it should, then you're probably going about it the wrong way. 

I believe some form of edited/consolidated sticky (with photos!) should be made of this topic.  I'm sure more and more KX5 riders are going to have to start repalcing bearings as the years wear on.

Offline alward25

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
Get a blind hole bearing puller from Harbor Freight.  Totally worth it.  I will post a picture if that will help.
Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline serafin

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
a couple of pics to show nubs in the hub

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
Get a blind hole bearing puller from Harbor Freight.  Totally worth it.  I will post a picture if that will help.
Alex

Doh!  I was just their today getting the 1/2" Impact Wrench. Meh... oh well... another reason to take a car trip and turn my stereo's volume up to "Destroy The Earth!" HaHA!

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
Alex

BTW... The Blind Hole Bearing Puller from HArbor Freight worked GREAT!  Dunno why I've read others bad-mouth it.