Author Topic: Hardboiled 5  (Read 3621 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Hardboiled 5
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »
After far too long having no money because I couldn't find a job(me and half this bloody country) I've only gone and found one.Sooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm gonna build the baddest (stock bore/stroke) long lasting 5 I can.as some of you may have guessed, this will include Isotropically Superfinished internals(yep, all of em) ceramic bearings(you guessed it,all of em) forged wiseco and forged rod, Stan Stephens replate and top end ported barrel/head to my spec, a very cheap very expensive french pipe, and a few other things i have up my sleeve.as the engine build progresses i will post pics and details of what i'm using/doing, and how well the mods perform.I've wanted to throw money at it for ages but couldn't soI did the next best thing.I did part and tuning research till it came out of my ears.(A curious side effect of living and breathing 5's is that i have been found down the bottom of the bed, doing engine work in my bloody sleep!) Thats commitment.(or perhaps i should just be committed, loony bin here we come).Having said that, I always have time for other peoples ideas and opinions so feel free to butt in whenever.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Motorrad

Re: Hardboiled 5
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:12 PM »
You have my undivided attention.    Been slow around here on motor mods and builds....

Offline jonny500

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
its good to hear from somone in the uk thats into 500s we are few and far between and so are parts. i am in leicestshire. i am also about to build an engine and have sourced some of my parts already. can i ask what conrod you are going to use, so far my choices are prox, gen and hot rods. i will be having it fitted and trued by p.j engineering in wolverhampton as they are one of the best, what parts have you going spare and what are you looking for as i have a good few engine and chassis parts aviliable.
best regards
john

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:56:25 AM »
what you going to use the kx for mx or sm or do you have other plans

Offline greencannon

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:55:51 AM »
Poeton Industries is in your neck of the woods. I swear by thier technology. I think  its been 8 yrs and countless hours and pistons and no visible or measurable wear on the cylinder and plating. The cross hatch pattern is still clearly visible as well.  Apticote 2000, I had this service done when I had my first meltdown of the junk stock plating.  Max Power over here in the states did the service utilizing Poetons technology. 
When considering longevity, make  sure air filter intake is bullet proof as possible. The seat for the air filter cage will warp over time and lift off the airbox causing a small spot for unfiltered air to pass thru. this could cause major failure on expensive  internal parts. I know from experience
I'll see if i have a pic to show you  what i'm talking about.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 02:12:51 AM »
sorry about the pic quality, it's all i had
That little spot on the left let tiny grains of dirt thru which caused havoc with my motor until I noticed it and fixed it and replated with apticote. now so far it has been  bullet proof
i only bring up this incident because it also happened to a riding buddy of mine with a K5.  It was also in the same spot...

Offline oic0

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »
Thats right where mine sucked mud. I bought a new boot and plastic thing, it still does it. I spent a solid hour fiddling with it just to get it somewhat tight at that spot. Going to silicone it.
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
@motorrad, too true mate.

@johnny 500, im in nottinghamshire, so we aren't far away from each other.I have heard that the hotrods rod for the kx5 isnt too clever, so was thinking of going with vesrah.I too have chosen pjme for the crank build as I want it as true as possible.What yr is yours? Mines an 86.Maybe when its done we could hook up for a ride?

@cbmoor,Im gonna register it for the road primarily, so will be in sm trim.

@greencannon, i always make sure the filter is doing the best job possible as dirt and strokers dont mix....I have never heard of Poeton, but will look it up, thanks.

I have high hopes of the ceramic bearings and iso superfinshing, and will share any useful info i come across.Gonna buy a new phone so i can post pics at each stage too. Thanks for your input guys.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline jonny500

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8032.msg63031/topicseen.html#new
heres my build so far kwakman. its an 89-04 motor in a 99-02 kx250 chassis mx. i already have  my wieseco piston got it for ?110 of ebay in uk but it was a 1 off, i have a set  of 02 crank cases coming from the u.s. i am stuck on the conrod though as i have heard some horror storys of k5s snapping them. i think i will start a new thread and ask the guys from the u.s what they think. they have more knowledge and experience with these motors i think. your bike is an sm?

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
its not an sm yet but it will be.Pics of it in gallery pre stripdown under kwakman.stay away from hotrods on a k5 application.you can get forged vesrah rods on ebay from us for around ?50 -?80 plus postage.Much cheaper than in UK.I have done mucho research on where to find stuff as cheap as poss, so give me a shout when you want to pick through this brain of mine.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:02:01 AM »
here are some pics of the engine when i had almost finished cleaning it, and the reason I needed a new crank.(previous owner had never heard of taps and dyes,donut.)These were taken before I started polishing, all studs and water passages will be spick and span too to aid heat transfer.

Offline demographic

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure that Stan Stephens doesn't actually do the replating in house anyway so you're as well off just sending it to Poeton Industries or Langcourt direct.
Saves on the time you wait for the parts.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »
Stans just gona be doin my port recipe,as I cant afford the correct tools and although i'm confident in my plan, it can't hurt to have a guy whose reputation is unrivalled here (as your aware,you live the rainy side of the pond too dontcha) execute it and have a look over it just in case. Greencannons testimony to Poetons work is enough for me, as I have heard nothing but good about their work.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »

:-D  http://www.stanstephens.com/   8-)
  Tuck-O \o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 04:10:16 AM »
It would appear from that that my cylinder might be the last mx one he does, so does that make it a collectors item??? :-D