Author Topic: Thread depth  (Read 4361 times)

Motorrad

Thread depth
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:37:40 AM »
  Okay... the threads came out (stirped) on my drain plug today.... lucky me.... (I was using a torque wrench set to 162inLb like I always do (13.5ftlb)... was just its time...   

Now I need to know.   and this is for those of you with cases sitting on your bench..

how much threads are in the case?   length wise?    Im thinking the 9.4mm timesert is a touch long... (I keep getting in the area of 8.6mm when I eyeball measure
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:12:24 AM by Motorrad »

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Thread depth
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:03:48 AM »
i will let you know in 10 min

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:12:59 AM »
i will let you know in 10 min

You are my hero...

I keep getting in the area of 8.6mm when I measure (through the skid plate, with a flashlight)...

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:53:04 AM »
I've measured 8mm twice at a 92 and 98 case.
Why don't you cut the tread from the timesert a bid shorter?

Put an airgun/hose in the airvent of the crankcase to blow out the metal when cutting the tread.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:27:22 AM »
.325"

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:54 AM »

Put an airgun/hose in the airvent of the crankcase to blow out the metal when cutting the tread.

Dutch

If you cut the bottom it won't lock
"TIME-SERT? is self locking. On installation the bottom internal threads of the insert are cold rolled to expand the mating external threads into the base material locking the insert in place. Locking mechanism is at the bottom of insert. "

That is the reason I'm concerned about thread depth of the case.  As it seems the case is 8mm and the shortest timesert made is 9.4mm.    Thinking it may not lock properly.....

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
Here is a pic that I hope will help. It looks like you may have a problem time serting this. I would call time sert and see if they have a short enough one. I would not just bore the counter sink tool all the way in. I would only counter sink it just enough to make the sert flush. their tool counter sinks the hole a little more then necessary.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 09:26:56 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 09:28:55 AM »
thats another area that kaw could have made thicker. the hole is wider then the thread depth.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:14:17 PM »

Dutch

If you cut the bottom it won't lock
"TIME-SERT? is self locking. On installation the bottom internal threads of the insert are cold rolled to expand the mating external threads into the base material locking the insert in place. Locking mechanism is at the bottom of insert. "

That is the reason I'm concerned about thread depth of the case.  As it seems the case is 8mm and the shortest timesert made is 9.4mm.    Thinking it may not lock properly.....

Shorten the insert.
Clean the insert and the tapped hole with acetone.
Apply LocTite 271 threadlocker to insert.
Assemble.
Problem solved. Forget about it.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
I was just going to say, Loctite 271 (red) is amazing stuff. Like stated above, shorten the TimeSert and use 271.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
Well I just noticed somthing even more interesting...  actually looked at it hard... and Mine had a 12X1.5 plug and threads in it... Hmmm  I thought stock was 10X1.5!?

this makes it so I can get a 7mm timesert...

but questionable if I have that much material to remove!?  CRAP  I think Im screwed!!....

Options (running through my head)

1.  12X1.5 Oversize drainplugs?  wont try to Wedge the case and split it??
          If I do run a 12X1.5 oversize plug, will I ever have the option of running a imesert.. (run hole too big)

2.  Tap to 1/2-20  get roughly 42% of thread... not an option on fine thread, But then I could see if they make a oversize drainplug in this size.... giving me more thread to play with than the 12mm route....  Doubt they do them in that fine of a thread though...

3.  Checked Timeserts site, and found the magor diameter for the tap, is SCARY close to the OD of the plug flange on the case..

and the OD on the flange of the imesert will definaly hang over the side.. 

So Time serts and HeliCoil is out of the picture...

4.  Weld the case up.... BUT I DONT WANT TO SPLIT THE CASES ON A MOTOR I HAVE NEVER EVEN RIDDEN YET... FRESH AND NEW...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:07:42 PM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 03:33:51 AM »
After thinking it over last night...

I realized a 10mm helicoil will still screw into my existing oh id guess 20% existing threads left...

soooo..

going to make myself a Piggy back bolt (10mm with a 6mm inside bolt)..

and going to

LOCTITE in the helicoil with Loctite-680  Retaining compound...

run a tap through it (easy) after its dry... run in my 10mm , saftey wire it, and from now on change the oil from the 6mm piggy bolt....

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:58:08 AM by Motorrad »