Author Topic: What Tires?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Big Yac

What Tires?
« on: August 01, 2010, 02:58:46 AM »
   I have ridden my 500 since I bought it new in 1999.  I have gone through a variety of tires from the Dunlop 752 which was a favorite until it was discontinued to an IRC M5B which was also great.  I have had a Michelin S-12 rear which I loved and an M-12 front and rear...again both of which I liked alot, infact I keep the M-12 on the front, best front I've found yet.  Well, after taking a 5 year break in riding I finally got back into it last weekend and found my M-12 rear had a slice in it.  A friend gave me a Dunlop 695 to put on and honestly I hated it.  Seems like everytime I went around a turn it would try to slide out.  I have never had this with another rear tire.  Now I'm a big guy at 6' tall and 300lbs so I'm always getting traction but this was new to me.  What type of terrain is the 695 for?  Like I said in my other post I'm from Ohio so the dirt in the woods can go from muddy to hard and everything in between.  I think I may just go back to either an IRC M5B or S-12 or M-12. 
   I guess my question is, what tires have you guys used on the 500 for best traction and tire life?  Has anyone tried the new Continental brand tires?  They are supposedly for all terrain from soft to hard.  How about Maxxis ITs?  Thanks and its great to be here on the board finally.     :-D 

Offline ShadeTreeFab

Re: What Tires?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:38:45 AM »
right now i'm running a dunlop d952, i going to lace up a 18" rear so i can run a 130 or 140 m5b thats my favorite rear tire of all time.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 04:43:40 AM »
The 695 was a intermediate terrain tire that was fairly popular in the 80s and 90s. I used them on a variety of bikes and they were ok. They wore fast. I dont think they are made anymore, could be that the tire is old and the rubber is hardening up. Go with the Michelins if you liked them before. They are a good tire.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
I never thought about the tire being old and hardening up.  The tire was supposedly used by Fred Andrews for one practice session then taken off, Mr. Andrews then gave it to my friend who was watching.  Anyways, when I get the chance I'm ditching the 695 and either putting on an M5B or S-12.  I may pick up a Continental to keep on hand too just to test out.   :-)

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:51:29 AM »
I love the Maxxis IT's they hook up well especially for a Desert tires and they wear very well although anything wears down quick on a K5. also I have heard good things about the the Dunlop D739 desert terrain and the IRC VE33 but have never ridden with them.
heres where i have found a good price on them before.
Motorcycle tires

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »
try a maxxis desert it.
They wear like iron.
I like mine.
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:33:39 AM »
An update on my tire selection.  I went and got a Continental rear tire after reading the tire test in Dirtrider and seeing that the tire received favorable marks.  The tire works great whether in a straight line or in the turns  I am in east central Ohio, so the dirt I encounter in a day goes from mud, rocks, ruts, and roots in the woods to hard packed clay in the strip mines, pretty much we have it all.  I had let my friend lead for a while on his Yamaha Warrior and in an open spot in the woods, with dry dirt, I got alittle crazy and passed him and he said the roost off my tire was like a tidal wave.  Anyways, I will report from time to time on how it wears but after one good, hard ride it still looks good.  One other thing to note, I am a big guy, 300lbs so most of time any tire I use gives me good traction except the Dunlop 695 I had and the 756.