Author Topic: The Great Gear Oil Controversy....  (Read 6933 times)

teamgreen500

The Great Gear Oil Controversy....
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2003, 09:32:52 AM »
1998, I ride the first section of V to R. 20 miles in and "EEERrrrr" starts comin' outta the tranny. Shifting gets funky. So, I nurse it in while being passed by all the guys I had JUST BUSTED MY A$$ TO PASS! Including those dust-machine Iron-Man guys!

At the first pit...gee, no oil plug! There goes our day. Start pushin' the bike to the truck to go home...my team-mate and I share a look,"Hey, we ain't quiters...what if.....Yeah!" The oil drain plug threads were gone...one rubber plug and some oil...Voila...15+ minutes in the pits; but, we're back on the course and gettin' it back! :P
At the end of the day...1st in class and Over-all Am. Yes, tranny was done! But, we made it! :lol:

BTW, same team-mate STRIPED the Drain-bolt in the BRAND NEW motor I got the following week! d**n Engineers! :twisted:

Manny

leewinsor

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2004, 11:07:29 AM »
I have been thinking about using Bel-Ray Gearsaver SAE 80W tranny oil in my new '04 KX500. Does anyone have any experience with this oil and if so, how is it on the clutch?

Lee Winsor.

mikesmith

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2004, 08:33:38 PM »
Ive had no problems with Bel-Ray gear saver,been running it forever.

DanH1

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 04:40:35 AM »
Same here. I have always used it, changed it on a regular basis, and the gears and bearings look good even after many races and miles so I've never needed to try anything else.

Dan

Jes_KX5

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2004, 07:11:53 AM »
I have used regular 10w40 in every motorcycle my brothers and I have ever owned. I have had no problems to date.

The most amazing story is that one of my brothers used to ride an XR70. We went to a place called Paragon which is all trails that are tight and steep hills. I hadn't worked on the bike last, but whoever did didn't tighten the oil plug and while riding it fell out. We were about 2 miles out from the truck so we just decided to run the bike to the truck with no oil (a 4-stroke). Amazingly, it made it to the truck and still runs fine to this day (but my borther now rides a YZ85).