Author Topic: Time to put my baby back together.  (Read 8102 times)

Offline oic0

Re: Time to put my baby back together.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 02:38:47 PM »
Its almost all the way torn down now. Though it was in anger... I may have bent the rod trying to get the cylinder off without taking off the head. Part of my reason for going ahead and getting the bottom end done. That and that its 10 years old. Even if the bottom is tight I might as well do it now especially since its experienced mud. I'm tired of it always being something, I want it fresh so I can enjoy it :D
Think the labor costs would be more than the $90 for the tools + noob frustration?
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 12:33:50 AM »
Think the labor costs would be more than the $90 for the tools + noob frustration?

No, noob frustration is PRICELESS.. :lol: I have found that it is always something to clean, fix or modify. Hours of  work and its dirty, greasy, and difficult which can be super frustrating at times, especially with a FENDER LIZARD (term that I got here) It seems crazy sometimes how much time and money that I spend working on them to ride for a few seconds. The real question is;

Is there anything that costs less that is more fun? Stay motivated, oicO, a fresh 500 is on the way.

Offline bob larry

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 02:08:59 AM »
Hey guys,

I am in the same boat so I will be following this one!
Thanks already for the great deal on flywheel puller.
I have split a few cases without the tool, but never a 500...
1st time tearing into one.....can't wait.
Everything is drained and the bike is stripped down to nothing.
Motor is coming out tn.

:mrgreen:
2001 KX500

Offline oic0

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 02:17:23 AM »
Think I'm going to wait and drain my oil through the clutch cover. I had forgotten. I think oil drain plug threads are going to be the next fix lol :(  It went in there last time and has stayed put... but it didn't feel right.

I also need to replace some loose spokes. I'm sure I'll run in to some other issues while I'm working on it too.

Always something huh!
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 03:13:53 PM »
It's a never ending cycle of wrenching. If you do 99% of it yourself it means so much more when it's up and running. If you feel in over your head don't be ashamed of getting professional help. It takes time to learn how everything works and how it goes together. I spent quite a few years learning on my own before I took a small engine class during high school. I didn't have internet or anyone to go to for questions either so it made it that much harder. Any questions or issues just message me and I will try to walk you through it.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.