Author Topic: What to do with this 2000 K5 I just bought...  (Read 2775 times)

Offline DHregdovic

What to do with this 2000 K5 I just bought...
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:30:22 AM »
I just picked up a 2000 KX500 that is pretty beat. It does run though. I wanted to upgrade my 1991 with the better forks, rear wheel. I think everything else is the same. Debating on whether I want to part it out or just put my '91 forks/wheel on it and let someone else have at it. My '91 forks were just rebuilt too - even have brand new inner/lower fork tubes on them. Anyone else have any thoughts?

The only problem with fixing it is that although it doesn't look horrible, it needs work everywhere... all new bearings all over the bike. The last guy just put a top end in it 10 hours ago (or so he says) but it's getting water in the oil. He said the cylinder had the Nikasil coating on it and it wasn't too bad - at least no sleeve. I'm figuring water pump seal or he had bad luck with the head gasket. I know he said he used the Tusk brand - whoever makes them? With that info I would think it would need a complete rebuild to be reliable. The shifter just flops like there's a spring broken, oil coming from the countersaft seal, etc, etc...

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: What to do with this 2000 K5 I just bought...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »
although it does require a significant investment, a second bike is always handy to have around if for only parts alone it could save your bacon in a tight spot. i'd put a few bucks in it and make it reliable and keep it for a spare "emergency" bike. if you decide to part it out i may be interested in some parts.

MADDOGGY

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:14:15 AM »
I just picked up a 2000 KX500 that is pretty beat. It does run though. I wanted to upgrade my 1991 with the better forks, rear wheel. I think everything else is the same. Debating on whether I want to part it out or just put my '91 forks/wheel on it and let someone else have at it. My '91 forks were just rebuilt too - even have brand new inner/lower fork tubes on them. Anyone else have any thoughts?

The only problem with fixing it is that although it doesn't look horrible, it needs work everywhere... all new bearings all over the bike. The last guy just put a top end in it 10 hours ago (or so he says) but it's getting water in the oil. He said the cylinder had the Nikasil coating on it and it wasn't too bad - at least no sleeve. I'm figuring water pump seal or he had bad luck with the head gasket. I know he said he used the Tusk brand - whoever makes them? With that info I would think it would need a complete rebuild to be reliable. The shifter just flops like there's a spring broken, oil coming from the countersaft seal, etc, etc...

And this is what you were actually "told" by the seller, in my experiences, take all the issues that seller commented about and double the needed work....  My opinion strip the bike for future needed parts, and that the end of it...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 02:28:10 PM »
Personally I would keep it for parts at least. Could save you a ton of money should you have a catastrophic failure. If you do decide to part it out I'm interested in some things.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline DHregdovic

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:52:47 AM »
I'll wait and see what I'm gonna do with it. I sent the forks off to East Coast Suspension (John Curea) to get rebuilt, resprung and revalved. The shock was just done the other day. My focus will be on "cleaning up" my '91. If I get to a point that I will part it out I will let you guys know. I just hate seeing these bikes get torn apart - especially since they are no longer made.

BTW - I just found out about East Coast Suspensions in my area. If anyone is needing suspension work he is very highly reccomended. His prices are way better than the "other" guys out there that I've seen. He used to be paired up with MX Tech I think and now does it on hos own. Great guy to work with and talk to.