Author Topic: Hello from MA  (Read 2541 times)

Offline runabout

Hello from MA
« on: April 11, 2010, 01:36:31 AM »
Hello to all and thanks thus far for the advice... with it I purchased a 1988 KX500.
I live in central MA and have been playing with engines for as long as I can recall. I started off with a 70cc Honda 3 speed, you know the one... it had the gas tank under the seat and now if you want to buy one you better have a million bucks. Then I picked up 1980 MX80 Yamaha (I think that was what it was called) 2 smoke oil injection...
Then I my buddy got a trike and well a had to keep up so yes indeed... I got Suzuki 125 trike again gas tank under the seat ( pattern ) no shocks.. just those superball tires that would make it float upside down in deep water.
Then my 1st KX. I saved the Paper route money ( recall those times when it was safe enough for kids to deliver the news?) Morn and afternoon. It was an 86 and I got my choice the dealer had 2 in crates as leftovers and after putting them together both bikes sat of the showroon floor and I was ready.
Later sold the 80... sports were important to me at this point so no bikes for a while
Then the 1989 ZX 1000 Ninja put 5000+ miles on it that summer then sold it
Took time off for school... no toys for a long while
Current toys
2002 Yamaha Raptor 660 purchased as leftover set it up for MX with all the go fast goodies and had lots of fun
Then the CR 500... 2002 TRX Honda 250 ATV...another 1986 KX80... 97 cc Baja doodle bug ... 1985 Odyssey 350R buggy and then another 350R... 1999 Quadrunner 500 4x4
well I sold the CR500 and gave the Baja to a neighborhood kid and the second KX 80 went to a co-workers son
And here I am with you fine people...pround owner of 1988 KX500 with no spark...
Oh and yes the Odysseys are not stock they run approx 105 race fuel and are a ton of fun...I hope to find a decent pilot fl400 in the next couple of years
That is my toy history
I work in Healthcare and love it ... but I must get the crapola out from under my nails prior to the day beginning though
Regards to all

Offline blueoval

Re: Hello from MA
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:48:41 AM »
Welcome runabout.  Yeah the days of delivering newspapers and going door to door collecting were fun times.  Yes, and they are probably over now.  Bought my first bike with paper route money.  I, too, am in the health care field.  Good gloves keep the Crapola out of the hands and nails for Monday morning!  You will enjoy this site and the kx500.  B.O.
If some is good, and more is better, then too much is JUST RIGHT!  B.O.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:11:23 AM »
 Glad to have you with us Runabout.
   No- spark condition could be as easy as a bad kill switch or bad grounds to cdi and flywheel.
I'm sure you will get her worked out.  There is a member here that has a cd service manual but I lost the doggone post.
   The Clymer for bikes seems to be quite a bit better than some of their automotive manuals. If you can swing one or a F.S.M  it helps greatly.
   Welcome and I'll try to get a troubleshooting page posted in my gallery or PhotoBucket.
Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline runabout

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
I got here goin and she rips
Bad connections in the harness
Cannot wait to find some open area... this would pull onmy CR500 for sure
KIPS is the s**te
Regards

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »
Glad you got it figured out. Welcome to the site. Enjoy.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
 Man that was quick!
   I think you got her going before I got the troubleshooting thing posted in my Gallery..
  Good on ya'   
      Tuck\o/

Offline runabout

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:23:49 AM »
Hey tuckmann I got lucky for sure
the wires were a mess under the tank... the bike sat a long time and the connections were non-existent
It is an awesome bike.... I had the guy over last night (the one that purchased my CR500) and he could not believe how powerful it was... and the CR had new top and bottom end as well...
I thought it had more giddy than the CR and he confirmed
yippee yahoo brother

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:47:55 AM »
 :-D :-D
   Good on ya!  Now maybe you can help Crazy Old B. get his sorted out..
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7223.msg56004/topicseen.html#new   :|
  Tuck\o/