Author Topic: crank removal  (Read 2346 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
crank removal
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:10:20 AM »
just split cases and left side bearing stayed in cases. the problem i have now is how do i get the crank out without a removal tool? i was thinking of heating (carefully) the outside of the right hand case around where the bearing is to expand it and try to pull it out then.any ideas? thanks,K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline cbxracer30

Re: crank removal
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:23:19 AM »
You can press it out or tap it out with a brass or lead hammer. I usually try the hammer first then go to the press, be carefully because a couple of the gears will fall off the shafts when you flip it over.also did you take the gear off the right end of the crank. CBX
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:27:22 AM by cbxracer30 »
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:30:48 AM »
yes mate,primary drive gear removed.i'll have a tickle at it with some heat and a hammer, just dont want to muller anything expensive.i think it would probably be cheaper to get divorced than own a 500.but nowhere near as much fun.thanks,K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 04:24:06 AM »
got it out using above method, even the bearings weren't that hard to get out.time for a good clean inside and when the crank comes back i can start throwing it back together.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 02:18:10 AM »
im putting the new crank seals in.should i use lith moly grease or this loctite stuff thats usually used to seal threaded connectors in pneumatic lines to 18 bar?????
(its not normal threadlock, its for air tight sealing)

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:54:57 AM »
Use the same sealer that you are going to use on the case halves.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:08:38 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
thanx.