Author Topic: Clutch problems with a 1984 KX 500  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Banjo

Clutch problems with a 1984 KX 500
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:05:15 AM »
The bike is acting just like they do sometimes if you let them sit too long.  I pull in the clutch lever and it acts like the clutch is still engaged.  I backed off the bolts on the clutch and pulled each plate apart until everything spun freely.  Tightened up the bolts again and everything sticks.  The clutch lever, arm, rod, and end piece all seem to move an adequate distance against the springs.  I can see the clutch itself open up, but again, unless I actuall pull each plate apart and unstick it, it just locks up. I even over tightened the cable a bit to open up the clutch further with no luck. I've had clutches slip before, but never one stick like this.  I just got the bike and am going through a lot of other problems, but this one is kinda at the top right now.  The oil level was correct, but now the oil was just 10w 30, nothing fancy.  Could it be I need a slicker oil?  Any thoughts out there? I'm new to the group and this particular bike so I apologize if I missed this problem explained elswhere.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: Clutch problems with a 1984 KX 500
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 05:03:55 AM »
Welcome aboard, there is supposed to be a ball bearing in there as well, do you have it?is your pressure plate cracked or your pushrod or pusher rod(end bit) worn/knackered?could even be the clutch actuating rod.your clutch basket needle bearing seizing could also cause this.let us know how you get on.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Banjo

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:34:13 AM »
Thanks, I didn't see the ball, I used a magnet to pull the rod out, then just slid it back, I'll inspect it all more closely.  Thanks again!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:37:34 AM »
 Banjo,       (Kwack posted while I was typing  :| )
  I'll try to link or post a photo for reference if you don't already have one, do you remember by chance if that ball bearing is in the end of the pushrod?  That thing seems to get lost really easily. 
  The oil weight should be fine. If the oil (I think) was too slick you should have a slipping condition.
Let's see if all the stuff is there working from the bearing in the case outward.

bearing in case-->Washer -->Bushing and Needle Bearing---then slide on outer basket-->Large Flat washer-->Inner Hub

Then the serrated washer-->Large Nut ('83-'85 kx500 58 ft.lbs.)  If the nut has a shoulder, the flat side goes toward the washer/shoulder side out. if you have the lock plate bend the tabs on a nut flat  --> install the friction and steel plates.(alternately),  coat with oil, start with a friction plate and with a friction.  --> install the pushrod (w/moly grease)--> grease the pushrod ball and stick it in the pushrod cap.--> pushrod cap--> then install the pressure plate -->
Springs and Bolts ( I didn't see the specific torque value for the pressure plate bolt for your bike, be carefull! the later bikes the bolt value is only 82 INCH LBS.)
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Friar-Tuck/service%20repair%20maitenance/?action=view&current=clymer250500clutchearlyresized.jpg

Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:05:20 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Banjo

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 06:14:25 AM »
This really helps.  There is no ball in theclutch system on my KX anywhere.  All other parts match the diagram so there is no way the cluth is moving far enough with everything else set up correctly.  I'll track down an appropriate ball put it in and let you know how that goes.  Thanks thanks thanks!