Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 3033 times)

NastyNick

Head Gasket
« on: February 24, 2004, 02:01:51 PM »
Which way is up?

Sounds stupid, but my new gasket isn't marked (some are), and it doesn't have a folded lip on the inner ring like the Clymers says.  Should I use RTV as well.  It looks like it had it on before, but again, my books says nothing about it.

Getting ready to finish off my rebuild.  Now, if I could just get my frame back from the welders shop.....  :roll:

NastyNick

Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 05:11:59 PM »
also, whats the best way to torque the cylinder down?  There isn't a whole lot of room for my torque wrench to get to the two front (exhaust side) nuts.  I think the torque specs are 18 foot pounds, but not sure of that either.

mikesmith

Head Gasket
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 07:54:59 PM »
I would contact the maufacturer of the gasket on that one,but if theres no markings of any kind I dont see how you would know(is it a quality gasket?).I dont use anything on the head gasket like rtv,I didnt  have any problems using my tourqe wrench on it and it is 18 ft. lbs.On your nekt top end just leave the head on.

Sharc

Head Gasket
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 02:50:53 AM »
I always put the side with the burrs pointed up, but if it's reversable either side up is fine....and no sealant - just dry. On the nuts, just use a box wrench if you cant torque. It aint rocket science....just a big old 2-stroke....

NastyNick

Head Gasket
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 03:24:31 AM »
It's an Athena gasket (out of a full kit for the k5).

lol....thanks guys.

Hogwylde

Head Gasket
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 09:00:07 AM »
I believe it's raised side up.  And it SHOULD make a difference.  Why you ask?  Take a look at the holes for the coolant to flow up and around the head.....the holes on one side are a different size than the other side.  I'd bet good money they are that way to direct the coolant around the head and cylinder in the proper manner.  Exactly what way that is, I don't know.....I've had to ask the "Which is UP" question before too.

I like using spray on Permatex Copper head gasket.  Just in case your head/cylinder is not perfectly flat, is should make a perfect seal.

Rick

Head Gasket
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 02:53:59 AM »
I agree, no sealant, especially RTV.  However, I have had occassion when a head gasket would not seal.  I taped 600 grit sand paper to a piece of glass and gently surfaced the head in a circular motion.  Removed the studs and did the same for the jug.  On installation, I used spay on copper gasket (available at many fine auto parts stores), and this is the ONLY sealant I would ever use on a head gasket, but the preferred method is no sealant.

Good luck

Rick