Author Topic: Cold Cold Starting ?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline bob larry

Cold Cold Starting ?
« on: January 29, 2010, 05:31:08 AM »
Is it me or is it harder to start 2strokes in very cold weather?

It is -10 o C  today

Any tricks to start them in the sub cold?

:mrgreen:
2001 KX500

Offline weymouth399

Re: Cold Cold Starting ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:20:47 AM »
it helps if you are properly jetted for temp, possibly turn air screw in turn or so. but if you lay it on it's side and let fuel dribble out of carb once or twice then full choke and kick it from the very top she should firer right up you will have to play with the choke a little thats how I start my ice bikes and it's cold right now
  bob
93 KX500 ice bike for sale
00 KX 500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt
04 Kx 500 ice bike
08 KLX 450 on/off
72CT90x2 for sale
76LB80Chappy
86FJ1200
89FJ1200

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:23:26 AM »
Anything below -20C I give it a sniff of starting fluid if I can't warm it up first.

Recently I've been just aiming a propane heater at it for 5 minutes. That will get the cylinder warm to the touch and it will light off like it was a summer day.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:55:15 AM »
I would use a "MR. HEATER" or similar.  I can remember a rode trip with CBX when we went to pick up my K5 in the winter.  The fella that had it, set up a heater close by to warm it up a little.  She sat there purring within 2-3 kicks.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline dangerous dean

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 08:46:22 AM »
if you know the night before its gonna be cold then i use to bubble wrap the carb but not too much so you cant get it back off before it melts!!!

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »
I have a small electric heater I set on a crate and turn it on high pointing right at the jug. After about 20 minutes the exhaust is starting to get warm to the touch and it will fire right up. My heater cost $10 or $15 at walmart. It's about 8 inches tall and 6 inches wide. About the only thing it's good for unless you have a small room to use it in. Even then it still sucks lol.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »
I just put the garage thermostat to about 65 degrees F.  Actually I dont ride much in snow, but the bike does start ok.  I have seen the hilclimbers who climb in late fall use a "reddy heater" pointed at the pipe and jug, seems like a good trick as long as the plastic isnt melted, or the fuel ignited.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 12:22:02 AM »
Here's my KX500 out on the ice starting regiment.

If it's in the teens (F) and higher all's you need to do is introduce a bit of "raw"  fuel into the intake. Lay your KX500 hard over on it's left side until you see some fuel exit out the carb overflow. Now pull the choke, and after about 3-4 kick she should lite right off. (This is all assumed that you have favorable "winter" jetting). If you are trying to start a KX500 with stock jetting in very cold temps, just keep kicking your brains out cause it will never start....

Another tip, if temps are in the single digits, even I sometimes have a hard time starting. Bring a plummers' propane bottle and warm the cylinder prior to kicking. It makes a HUGE difference in startability !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline bob larry

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 01:31:20 AM »
WOW thanks guys....tip the bike left and pull the choke.....and warm the jug with winter jets!   

I have the same mr heater I'll give it a try.

If you are trying to start a KX500 with stock jetting in very cold temps, just keep kicking your brains out cause it will never start....

LMAO 
2001 KX500