Author Topic: What is it worth ??  (Read 2231 times)

Offline greencannon

What is it worth ??
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:26:46 AM »
I've decided to sell my 2001 KX500. I have alot of money invested in it but cannot get it to stop losing 3rd gear. I am heartbroken as this bike has provided me with years of incredible memories...
I just no longer have the patience, money or time to spend trying to find the root of the problem. It runs and rides perfect other than 3rd gear missing.
 It has a new factory crank trued and welded, Apticote cylinder plating, brand new updated piston,heavier springs in front,  suspension just rebuilt, Every part in the tranny has just been replaced (no joke)
Overall the bike well maintained, very tight and runs better than when i bought it new, It just keeps popping third gear .......???? d**n it!!! If it wasn't a ton of work to access the tranny everytime, then i would deal with it... It needs a new seat, and plastic has some scratches because i'm not afraid to "ride it " and get it dirty. has a few other small upgrades but basicaly stock.
I bought it in 02 as leftover. it is one owner
Should i sell it as is or "part it out" 
and for how much $$$    ?????
This post makes me want to cry....

Offline 3Razors

Re: What is it worth ??
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 04:21:38 AM »
Isn't 3rd gear on the KX5 supposed to be the achilles heel on the bike?  I've never had any problems but I've heard stories.

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 07:33:58 AM »
sounds like you need to keep that bike and work it out.
consider the cost of replacing your dirt bike compared to fixing 3rd gear.
personally , I rode all the time til I was 14 years old then got another dirt bike when I was 35.
I`ll have one til my back gives out and I can`t walk.
I love the mountains and trails.

All I`m saying is don`t give up too soon,  save a little $$$ and be patenient
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline greencannon

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:07:30 PM »
your right 'ol crazy one. I'm gonna have a go at it for the 4th time.
i got desperate and took her for a rip without 3rd gear. It turned out to be an epic ride thru the eastern woods....woohoo!!
It's not everyday you see a lunatic fly thru the woods on the pipe in 4th gear on a KX500 around here...yikes!!!
I started a new post in Serious Discussions with a possible fix