Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 1903 times)

NastyNick

Suspension
« on: March 09, 2004, 06:41:35 AM »
I am finally starting to see the light on how important suspension is, but have one little question.

Sag adjustment.  I understand how to measure the sag (static/race) and adjust it accordingly, but whats the easiest way to loosen the lock collar and adjust the shock?  It seems that removing the subframe and such allows you to access the shock easy, but it seems to be a pain to remove all that crap, adjust, put it back on, measure again, remove, adjust, install...etc.  So I guess my question really is: How do you do it?

Rick

Suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 10:25:00 AM »
I agree, it's a pain.  I have a long punch  :shock: , yup, I said punch, on which I have ground an angle on the end to help bite the adjuster tabs.  I insert the punch from the rear brake side and loosen the lock ring.  Once loose, spin it a few turns out of the way.  Next, using a perminant black marker, mark one of the tabs on the ring holding spring tension.  You will be able to watch this mark and know how much you have adjusted the spring.  If you turn the ring one full turn so the mark is back in the original spot and determine you turned too much, you will know how to split the difference by moving the mark 180 degrees.  Using a mark, you always know how much you have adjusted from your original starting spot, and can fine tune your adjuster rings with ease.

Probably more than you wanted to know, and probably only needed to hear: Use a long punch.

Rick

NastyNick

Suspension
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 01:10:13 PM »
no...that helped a bunch!  Thanks Rick....you da man.

NastyNick

Suspension
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 01:13:17 PM »
opposite end of the bike question:  I got my wheels back from the shop and am putting the front back on.  How much of the axle is supposed to hang out of the end beyond the clamps?  It seems on the brake side its almost flush, but on the other site it hangs out about an inch or so.  I guess what I am worried about is the shop may have lost a spacer or something. :(  I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere and the kids 250f has a completely different front axle setup.