Author Topic: Another new 500 owner.  (Read 2163 times)

Offline thxthirtytwo

Another new 500 owner.
« on: August 14, 2009, 01:05:52 PM »
Hey there,
Just picked up my first 500. It's a 1989. I had read about their power but was still suprised of course. Needless to say I am lovin' it. I do have a couple really basic questions as that this is the first 2-stroke I've owned that I care to learn to tune.

1. Does anyone know of a good reference for an overview of the carb/2 stroke motor and all it's parts. So that I can begin to understand the jetting and reeds a little better.

2. I thought the bike would mix it's own oil but it's looking like I need to pre-mix. (I'm still on my first tank but it's gonna run out soon.) Is 50:1 the recommended ratio with stock pipes? I'm assuming I'll want to go with premium gas and high quality 2-stroke oil.

3. What is the correct way to find TDC? I have owned a '600 single' street bike and could feel it hit TDC as I kicked it over slowly. I'm not sure what it should feel like at TDC on this bike. I keep thinking I'm there and when I kick it over it doesn't seem go through a full rotation. I'm giving it a good full kick.

Thanks in advance,
thx3232
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 01:17:01 PM by thxthirtytwo »

Offline Kawasakinut

• s#@t plus two equals eight
Re: Another new 500 owner.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »

welcome! glad you found us we've been locked in this site for all eternity until you opened the door. now we are free too ride ride ride! lol haha just kidding i'm glad you made it. you will find tons of good people here and mounds of great info on the green machines. enjoy!

1 kawasakinut... out!   
htpp://www.youtube.com/jimvpa

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Another new 500 owner.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »
welcome ! since im released ,i give you the answers  8-)

1 ask hughes ,he ,s the man for this kind of exploded views
2 my premix ratio is 1:40 like many other do
yes use premium stuff only ,quality guaranteed

3 most important is the kickstarter must be in an as highest possible position,because then you rotate the engine enough times to fire up instant,

succes :)
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500