Author Topic: Help please!! loading up bad  (Read 1735 times)

Offline KX5

Help please!! loading up bad
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:46:45 AM »
I've had my bike tore apart for about 4 months now and I have just got enough money to put it back together.  I tore it apart to paint the frame and I cleaned the carb and everthing else.  I didn't touch the motor.  Anyway it ran great before I did this.  It starts fine in two kicks and idles nice but has no bottom end what so ever, mid range is fair but not right and she fades to crap up top.  I did turn the reeds over and now they close nice, where before the had a slight gap on a couple of them, they are super stock reeds. Should I have just bought new reeds.  I'm mixing my gas at 40:1. I have a moose reed spacer and a gnarly pipe.  Thanks for any help.  I've been waiting forever to get my bike together and I would like to ride in a harescramble this weekend.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:50:00 AM by KX5 »

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Help please!! loading up bad
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:59:37 AM »
How long did you ride it? Mine can sometimes take its time cleaning out. Was it fresh gas? Often the oil settles in the bottom end and the petcock, from gravity and evaporation. Are you leaking gas from overflow? Dry floats can stick easy.  New Plug? Half carboned up plug may cause some issues. Clean Filter and clear silencer? A clogged silencer is a tricky one to find.
powervalve is operating? positive the carb is clean and the floats are right?

Offline dean350b

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:02:27 AM »
After painting the frame, are you sure the engine is finding a clean ground (earth) to the frame, and the ignition coil is grounded to a clean bare spot on the frame also?

Petcock clean and flows fuel well?

Float level?

Offline KX5

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:02:58 AM »
Thanks alot guys, These are good ideas I will try when I get home tonight.  I did notice alot of fuel coming out the overflow and I will check the grounds. It is a new plug and I ran the piss out of her for atleast 20 minutes.  I had her to the stops in every gear which has never really been possible for me to do before

Offline KX5

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:46:30 AM »
Alright I cleaned the carb again and the floats look good. The plug had alot of oil and carbon on it which I expected.  I took her for a 20 minute ride and now I have no bottom end some mid and all top.  It is pulling really hard on top now? I did change to ATF in the trans and my silencer might need repacked? Would that make a difference because it is a powercore and you can see right through it? I am thinking that it is the KIPS Valve? Maybe I need to check it better? I don't know what else it could be?