Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 7471 times)

Offline 95formula847

Re: New Owner
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 04:13:22 AM »
Just looked up the jetting chart. The elevation where i live is 535 ft and its between 80-95 degress here mostly. So according to the chart i should have the N82M needle jet, the airscrew 1.5 (is this turns out from being all the way in), slowjet (pilot?) 58, needlcip in the 3rd postion ( where is the needle clip?) and a 165 main jet. I would say my jetting is way off. Mine is 52 pilot and 172 main and i havnt got the needle jet number yet.
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 04:42:33 AM »
The jetting chart was accurate for me, for stock pipe. Jet sizes were good. When I got the pipe Pro Circuit recomends clip adjustment to one step leaner. FMF also has jetting adjustments that are specefic to the pipe,  make and model. The clip adjustment is the 1-5. 1 at the top groove 5 is the bottom. 1 is the leanest setting, 5 the richest. I use a flat countertop to remove and install the little clip. If it hits carpet or shoots off, it's gone.
When you pull the powervalve cover, you should be able to grab the deal that looks like two washers stuck together and pull the actuator rod out about an inch and a half. Thats not the exact measurement, but it should be spring loaded and not hanging up. Then you can start the bike and watch it open to that full distance when you rev the motor.
The screw with the spring wrapped around it is the idle, and the brass screw is the mixture screw also called the air screw. The idle jet is also called the slow jet.
I have 97 500, same elevation. 168,58, 2nd clip position, I am puposely a little lean, in the mids. 3rd clip is probably better for typical riding. You can check your main by plug color and performance at Top-end run. Kill the motor after sustained high rpms and pull plug to see. Pilot sounds lean compared to mine. 

When you pull out the slide, down in the top of it there's a 6mm nut that holds the the needle into the slide. When re-installing be sure the white plastic keeper in the spring goes all the way back down. It has a little slot and notch thing that has to line-up. Also smash the spring with finger directly to carb cap to get the most slack in throttle cable. You have to fish the end of the cable back into slot in the nut that has to be removed to get the needle out.
  I watched over someone's shoulder a hundred times probably before I felt comfortable.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:01:45 AM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 09:45:26 AM »
Thanks alot for all the info man! I took off the plastic cover above the water pump and found what you were talking about. Theres a small arm going front to back and it is connected to a small cylinder that does in and out. It moves freely and smoothly and doesnt jam up at all. Comes out an inch or so. Not an exact measurement like you said. Thanks for helping me find it. So the powervalve isnt sticking. Nice! Now im gonna get the appropriate jets and start from there. Where can i buy sets of jets to swap in and out?
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
Local Dealership will have them with no shipping costs. Otherwise its standard kehin jets from anyone that has em. I like Motosport Outlet and Midwest Action Cycles, but alot of companies carry them.
Powervalve is a go, that's good. Keep us updated on your progress.

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »
ok well ill start by getting the jets the chart reccomends. By then ill have the new air filter, fmf silencer, and sprocket collar/o ring on it. Hopefully it runs alittle better.
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
i took it out a rode around my property. It still wont idle and is a pain to start. Im just gonna take it to a shop next week cause im gettin p.o. ed at it.
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline shumard78

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »
hey doldguy you still want to sell that pipe??  :? mine has been dented badly ..R.I.P pc works pipe that some A hole spray painted black ..lol but ya im interested and in bad need of a new one.. :-P

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 01:27:25 PM »
Sure do. :-D
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »
took the carb apart and found the pilot jet clogged. Put it back together and it runs way better. Rode at greenridge this weekend and weas destroyin everything in my path. Bike still wont idle but atleast it runs off idle like a raped ape. 4th gear power wheelies are no problem! its nice to be able to eat everything on the trails without even tryin. I was blowin past 450s, 250 two smokes. I rode with my bud on his raptor and he rolled it end over end tryin to stay with me. Luckily hes okay. He was a ways behind me so i didnt see him roll.
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »
took the carb apart and found the pilot jet clogged. Put it back together and it runs way better. Rode at greenridge this weekend and weas destroyin everything in my path. Bike still wont idle but atleast it runs off idle like a raped ape. 4th gear power wheelies are no problem! its nice to be able to eat everything on the trails without even tryin. I was blowin past 450s, 250 two smokes. I rode with my bud on his raptor and he rolled it end over end tryin to stay with me. Luckily hes okay. He was a ways behind me so i didnt see him roll.

Between your TT posts and here I'm trying to keep up. I forgot to mention in the post where I gave you jetting recommendations that this also requires a #7 slide (throat cut). So I'll post it all here. A good place to start is 55 pilot, 168 main, 1 1/4 turns out from full clockwise position (all the way in) on the air screw and a #7 slide. The needle position can be adjusted from the middle up or down as required for best throttle response off idle. The idle screw can be turned in for a high idle to get it started and then adjusted for best starting especially when warm and driveability and idle speed.

Sometimes taking a coil off the idle screw spring will help you temporarily to raise the slide a little more for a higher idle but a lot of times it's that there is wear at the contact point of the screw pin where it meets the slide.

My 500 came with a 58 pilot, 175 main and a #6 slide. I had idle, surging, starting when warm issues and was loading up quite a bit no matter how much I was on the gas. It was a little bit of a hassle but thankfully it was all tuning issues. I got a lot of help from the guys here and you'll soon figure out who some of the resident rocket scientist are. When you get the bugs worked out... all other bikes will seem like pit bikes! Good luck with your 500 and don't give up.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »
ya im posting on two forums trying to get the most feedback. Im writing everything down in a notebook for reference so if anyone thinks im not listening... i can assure you i am.

Kxpegger... i will have to buy new jets tomorrow. I was planning on running the same jets you recommend. The jetting chart recommends the same for my area. How hard is it to buy the slides? Im sure it isnt cheap. My current jetting is 52 pilot and 172 main. Not sure about the slide. It doesnt have a number on it and i have yet to remove the cable from the slide cause it looks rather difficult to do. And i def wont give up on this thing. Its a blast runnin half bad. I cant wait till it runs right!
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R